Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.


(68 Posts)
greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:00:24

ds1 has woken up coughing and coughing, and he has the visible sucking-in at the stirnum and throat thing ('tracheal tug'??)

He had a night in hospital with oxygen/steroids etc a few months ago following a virus, and they sent us home with inhalor/spacer, but we haven't had to use them since.

But he is coughing and coughing (dry cough) and has that sort of breathy sound in his voice.

What should I do? Dh has just given him 10 puffs on the inhalor and it's helped a bit, but still has the tracheal tug thing.

belgo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:01:51

take him to A&E and explain that he has difficulty breathing and that the inhaler hasn't helped much.

DiagonAllieBongo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:03:01

did you give the puffs individually? how old is ds1>? If the 10 puffs wear off quickly ie ten mins call 999 or go to a and e. if they hold him off for an hour or so, you can wait until GP open and he will need more steroids possibly, and they may give a nebuliser to relieve the symptoms

DiagonAllieBongo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:03:53

if he can't speak, eat or move about much got straight to a and e.

lissie Wed 25-Jul-07 08:04:05

agree, take to A&E, just to be safe!

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:04:20

dh is insisting that ds1 is "less uncomfortable" than he was before the puffer, he says the tracheal tug is "notas bad as it was" and he thinks we should hang fire and wait and see. Is he right? <flap and panic>

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:04:51

he is moving about fine and chatting, he is just coughing a lot and his speech is very breathy

MissGrissindor Wed 25-Jul-07 08:05:00

take him straight to a & e.

Hope he is ok.

GibbonInARibbon Wed 25-Jul-07 08:05:50

I would you'll know in your gut if you think he needs A&E greeny - if you feel he does, then do it.

Do hope he feels better soon x

FlameDelacour Wed 25-Jul-07 08:06:00

A&E here too - and I am normally and wait n see girl

GibbonInARibbon Wed 25-Jul-07 08:06:47

I would say - sorry missed out a word there

belgo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:07:02

its best to err on the side of caution and take him to a&e. Those symptoms need assessing by a doctor.

DiagonAllieBongo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:07:04

go to a and e greeny. they are always happy to see lo with asthma

tribpot Wed 25-Jul-07 08:07:37

You could compromise and go to your nearest Walk In Centre? (Which might be at the hospital anyway). But I think I would go to A&E.

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:09:07

I don't have a car, I don't even have car seats any more, and it's 2 bus journeys to hospital

should I get them dressed and go on the bus, or should I call an ambulance? Will they be pissed off if I call an ambulance for a child who is able to talk/walk?

Fucking hell, I could do without this!

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:09:26

nearest walk in centre is attached to A&E anyway

belgo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:11:05

I wouldn't take him on a bus, that's likely to execerbate his condition.

Can a friend/neighbour give yoou a lift? If not, and he's still having difficulty breathing,then call an ambulance. That's what they are there for.

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:12:03

should I
a) give him more puffers
b) wait and see how he goes
c) take him to the gp surgery
d) get him dressed and take him to hospital on the buses
e) call 999

help! I need to convince dh too, he is doing the ostrich thing

GibbonInARibbon Wed 25-Jul-07 08:12:45

agree with belgo, see if you can get a lift, if not call an ambulance.

GibbonInARibbon Wed 25-Jul-07 08:13:13

what is your gut telling you greeny?

fishie Wed 25-Jul-07 08:13:46

ring a&e? you wouldn't feel bad about calling an ambulance if they told you to. i think you should anyway.

CharleeWeasley Wed 25-Jul-07 08:15:21

If he is having trouble breathing at all i would call 999 its best to be safe than sorry. Your know him betterthan anyone else if you feel he needs medical attention then take him. I hope all goes well.

daisyandbabybootoo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:19:15

could you call your surgery and talk to a GP for advice on whether to go to A&E?

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 08:19:55

right am going to get them dressed and then call 999. DH can do as he fucking pleases, I don't need him there anyway.

to be fair dh is on support and has been working most of the night, and I have been ill most of the past week, so it is a bit of a bind, but it's just tough, fgs! You can't schedule kids' illness <pissed off>

ds1 thinks he feels worse than he did when he got up, and his cough is really bad.

belgo Wed 25-Jul-07 08:22:44

greensleeves - you're doing the right thing.

Dh and I disgreed about going to hopital after dd1 fell off a chair - I insited we go - and a&e were very helpful and understanding, and dh finally agreed with me that a&e is the best place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: