Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on this pinky finger

(11 Posts)
S0uthernBelle Fri 14-Jun-19 22:50:05

Husband was in goal last night and hurt his pinky finger. I think he’s broken said finger but he is refusing to seek medical attention. What do you think? I’ve attached pictures that I took tonight.

OP’s posts: |
S0uthernBelle Sat 15-Jun-19 08:19:27

Anyone?

OP’s posts: |
Teachermaths Sat 15-Jun-19 08:23:36

I genuinely can't even tell what you're talking about. I can't work out which one is supposed to be broken.

Biancadelrioisback Sat 15-Jun-19 08:28:26

Same....

beckslovestimmy Sat 15-Jun-19 08:28:58

I don't think he needs medical attention even if is broken. Just strap it to the next finger if it's really sore. It doesn't look swollen or bruised but that may take a while to come out.

wobytide Sat 15-Jun-19 08:31:19

It's like a pregnancy test thread squinting to try and see a line

If that's after 24 hours there is no bruising or swelling. Probably just sprained

AlpacaP1cnic Sat 15-Jun-19 10:12:36

Your husband is right in not wasting medics time for this one.

Nogodsnomasters Sat 15-Jun-19 13:35:01

To me the one on the left does look slightly swollen and a bit red but all they can do for a broken finger is strap it down anyway which he could do at home. There is no bruising and the swelling is minimal so I'd just ice it a bit and strap it at home. At most advice from a pharmacist but I would not seek proper medical advice for this.

Greybeardy Sat 15-Jun-19 15:40:38

There’s no point in comparing his hand with someone else’s (?yours)... need to compare with his other hand.

There’s no way to tell if there’s a fracture from the outside and not all finger fractures are managed conservatively. Not all injuries are bony either - there are soft tissues to think about too. The decision about whether it needs anything doing would usually be based on things like examination findings/x-ray findings (eg joint involvement, angulation, etc)/dominant hand or not. There seems to be a popular misconception in MN that ‘they never do anything for broken fingers (and toes) so time you might as well just buddy strap it’- this is not true.

This would be exactly the sort of thing a minor injuries unit would be designed for, but if he prefers to see how it goes without then that’s his choice.
(COI - not an orthopod or ED doc)

Nogodsnomasters Sat 15-Jun-19 23:49:24

greybeardy lol I think that is his other hand and he has his wrists crossed over one another.

LoafofSellotape Sat 15-Jun-19 23:59:33

I'd leave it a couple of days and see then. Doesn't look alarming at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »