Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD has temp and I gave her Calpol at 12noon today, but temp is on the rise again now...

(15 Posts)
HuwEdwards Tue 24-Jul-07 14:28:33

...did I read somewhere that I can give her Ibuprofen inbetween doses of Calpol? She's 4 btw.

Thanks

lou33 Tue 24-Jul-07 14:30:03

yes you can

PinkChick Tue 24-Jul-07 14:30:09

iboprofen doesnt contain paracetamol does it?..chekc on nhsdirect website, but i know i could give neorofen with calpol.

Trinityrhino Tue 24-Jul-07 14:30:28

yes you can, you can alternate them so that she can be being helped with her temp by something all the time

hope she feels better soon

Mumpbump Tue 24-Jul-07 14:32:29

Yes - I was told to do this by A&E when I took ds along with a temperature of 104° at aged 7 months...

HuwEdwards Tue 24-Jul-07 14:32:45

Thankyou wonderful people. Picked her up from nursery - they weren't sure whether she was really poorly or just tired. Think we got to the bottom of that when she chucked up in their flowerbed on the way out (but for her obv.)

PinkChick Tue 24-Jul-07 14:35:15

aw, wish i was close, i bought big box of the cooleeze things(peel off back and stick to childs forhead) they are fatastic!..strip her off to undies and alternate the meds, hope shes better soon

ska Tue 24-Jul-07 14:35:23

i think you can use both but you can only give 4 doeses of calpol and 3 doses of nurofen one in any 24 hours.

Wags Tue 24-Jul-07 14:36:17

When DS was sent to hosp for high temp query meningitis, they gave him Calpol, then a few hours later the Ibuprofen then later on Calpol again. He was 18m. Did it recently also for DD (4) who had a high temp and febrile convulsion. Alternated Calpol with nurofen, probably with only about 2 1/2 hrs between doses, just made sure she had no more than the recommended 3 or 4 doses per 24hrs of each one if that makes sense. As the temp came down I spaced the doses out more.

kiskidee Tue 24-Jul-07 14:46:29

you can give children's neurofen along with calpol as they are completely different.

I find that children's neurofen is more effective and tastes better. (a big deal with a 2yo.)

lou33 Tue 24-Jul-07 14:47:38

nurofen isnt advised for asthmatics tho, in case you didnt know and she has asthma

PinkChick Tue 24-Jul-07 14:48:33

oh and heads up, if i give my dd neorofen on empty stomache it makes her violently ill..not to say it will to you LO, but have read it should be given with ffod..but that neorofen not ibuprofen(SP)

HuwEdwards Tue 24-Jul-07 14:52:05

Have no Nurofen so am just about to cart her off to chemists for some, so will get some of those Cooleeze things - thanks for tip Pinkchick. All other advice gratefully received too - didn't know about max doses. Thankfully Lou she's not asthmatic. Bugger - she's only had some milk, hope that's enough of a lining so she's not sick...

PinkChick Tue 24-Jul-07 14:54:18

milk does help line stomache though doesnt it!, ask pharmacist when you get there..the cooleez things are odd, dd thought they wer gunna be like plasters and hurt, but its just like a gel that stick, try to keep hair from under them tho..hope shes better soon

PinkChick Thu 26-Jul-07 13:36:02

how has she been after the meds then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now