Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone ever had a really strange, unpleasant sweet taste in their mouths??...

(11 Posts)
becaroo Tue 24-Jul-07 11:46:24

I have had a pretty rubbish year so far healthwise....had to terminate a pregnancy for health reasons in march, prolonged bleeding which led to anaemia then I caught a chest infection from my ds which turned into adult whooping cough...I was really ill for about a month and had 3 lots of strong antibiotics one after the other and hospital strength painkillers but on the plus side I have put back some of the weight I lost.

My question is, I now have a constant feeling of nausea and a really unpleasant sweet sugary taste in my mouth and no matter how many times I use mouthwash or brush my teeth it is still there...Its makng me feel quite nauseous all the time but I am trying to eat as I dont want to lose any more weight....any ideas what this could be?

REALLY dont want to go to docs as I seem to have been there constantly lately!

LoveMyGirls Tue 24-Jul-07 11:52:27

I think you should go to the docs.

cece Tue 24-Jul-07 11:52:32

I had a really strong metal taste once. In the end I phoned NHS Direct and it turned out I had soemthing called Bells Palsy. Might be worth phoning them

Sympathies it is horrible though _ I ate the strongest curry I could buy when I had my horrible taste and even that didn't shift it.

KnitterInTheNW Tue 24-Jul-07 11:54:53

Hi, Have you been tired and drinking/weeing a lot too? I'm diabetic and when my blood sugar has been very high occasionally I get nausea and sweet taste. I think you can get a quick finger prick test for blood sugar levels at the chemist if you really don't want to go to see the doc again, but I think you should go TBH.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Jul-07 11:58:44

Have you/are you losing weight. When I am trying to lose weight I often get that weird taste for a few days. I always associated it with going into ketosis.

becaroo Tue 24-Jul-07 12:26:22

Thanks for the replies...I think I might ring nhs direct and see what they say....such a nightmare getting an appointment at the docs these days.

Sitting at home feeling sorry for myself certainly isnt working so I'd better do something!

Thanks again....

becaroo Wed 25-Jul-07 17:49:25

KITNW...can I ask a diabetes related question? I took on board your advice & went to my local pharmacy today and had a blood glucose test and it was slightly raised at 5.8.

The girl said to go back and have another after I had fasted - should I bother? 5.8 doesnt seem that high to me and surely after fasting it would be much lower anyway?

Thanks....

KnitterInTheNW Thu 26-Jul-07 11:45:12

Hi! I wouldn't have said that 5.8 was raised, normal is between 4 & 7. When I've had the sweet taste etc mine's been more like 22! (Only v. occasionally I hasten to add, and I've been diabetic for 29 years)

I would have thought that if your symptoms were due to diabetes your sugar level would have been a lot higher.

I'd never advise just 'not to bother' just in case, but don't think this is what's wrong with you.

Go and see the doc again!

thebecster Thu 26-Jul-07 13:32:19

Definitely sounds like ketosis - you said that you have lost a lot of weight due to your illnesses, so that would fit, and the sweet taste in your mouth is quite typical. Your body is still burning fat stores and turning them to sugar (energy) to help you keep going, and that's the sweetness you can taste. I think you need more carbs in your diet to help it stabilise, but you should definitely see your doctor - prolonged ketosis is bad for your liver and kidneys. As well as your GP, if you can afford it, I'd advise seeing a nutritionist privately (unless your GP can refer you on the NHS) to help you regain weight and build your energy back up again.

KnitterInTheNW Thu 26-Jul-07 15:21:25

Thanks thebecster, I think you've hit the nail on the head, and a simple urine sample can detedt ketones? I hadn't thought of ketones, they've rarely been something I've needed to worry about (well controlled etc)

becaroo Thu 26-Jul-07 18:22:06

Thanks KNITNW & thebecster, I will go to my GP next week...what you say does make sense, I went down to 8 stone 5 from my nornal weight of around 9 stone 10.

thanks again xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now