Talk

Advanced search

Mirina coil

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Viv1964 Tue 11-Jun-19 23:18:53

Hi I just need advise i'm 55 and had the marina coil fitted 5 years ago and just had it taken out. I was so sure I have been through the menopause as I've had plenty of hot flushes and all the symptoms, however since the coil has been taken out only a month ago I have now started my period again. Has this happened to anyone else?

OP’s posts: |
LilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jun-19 12:04:40

Hi OP

We're just giving this a bump for you. Hopefully someone will be able to offer some useful advice and support soon.

We would always recommend visiting your GP, too!

Ivegotthree Thu 13-Jun-19 12:06:17

I have a Mirena but have no plans to take it out yet.

Sorry OP I can't offer you any help but very interested to see what replies you get.

BangGoesThatTheory Thu 13-Jun-19 12:54:40

My DM had a Mirena at 53 to help with her horrendously heavy periods. Although they didn’t stop entirely, they were much lighter for a couple of years, then stopped.

When she had the coil removed at 58, she assumed she was post-menopause. The nurse did say she may get a bleed after the removal and she did the very next day.

DM was worried by this and went to her GP who sent her for a scan which confirmed all was well, officially post-menopause.
It hasn’t happened since and that was three years ago.

If you’re worried, think a chat with your doctor to confirm where you’re at with your menopause would be a good idea.

happyhillock Thu 13-Jun-19 12:58:27

I had the mirina coil for 10 years(changed once) for heavy periods i didn't bleed once all the time i had it or when it was taken out
Best see your doctor

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »