Talk

Advanced search

Prep for colonoscopy?

(7 Posts)
AnthonyCrowley Tue 11-Jun-19 22:39:57

Just after some advice.

Dd has a colonoscopy coming up. We have all the prep and ive read slight horror stories about spending the day before on the loo. Her appt is going to be at a hospital an hour and a half drive away.....is she likely to be able to make the journey without shitting herself?

Will she be in pain and/or still shitting herself that evening, the following day?

keiratwiceknightly Tue 11-Jun-19 22:41:19

The day before is pretty grim but the morning itself should be fine.

gotellitonthemountain Tue 11-Jun-19 22:46:15

Will be fine for the journey. They time the prep so that your bowel is empty. Same afterwards - nothing to get rid of! Yes, she will spend previous day on the loo. Also tastes disgusting. V v salty.

AnthonyCrowley Tue 11-Jun-19 22:50:18

Great, that's reassuring. Thanks.

HitthefloorforTaintedLove Tue 11-Jun-19 22:54:48

As gotell says, it's timed so that the bowel is emptied the day before.
The prep doesn't taste nice but some of them can be mixed with orange squash to give it a better flavour. I don't know if she's an adult or at least an age she can understand, but it is important to drink it all so the procedure can be done and hopefully be a step to resolving whatever has led to her needing it.
You could maybe bring a duvet for the car so she can snuggle up on the journey.
As hungry as she may feel after it might be best not to overdo it straight away with junk food, could make her feel worse.
Also it can be quite normal to fart a fair bit after when you move around so tell her not to be alarmed, or don't make a big thing of it if she's embarrassed. Good luck to her!

gamerchick Tue 11-Jun-19 22:57:13

She might still feel like she needs to go though. I wore one of those tena nappies there and back for reassurance.

AnthonyCrowley Tue 11-Jun-19 23:02:52

She's 18yo so I hope will be able to manage with drinking all the stuff. Will get some Tena nappies just in case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »