Talk

Advanced search

Slow recovery from gallbladder removal

(12 Posts)
Wall2WallArseholes Sun 09-Jun-19 17:31:52

Hi.
I had my gallbladder removed on Monday (it was a bank holiday here so was an emergency op)

Firstly it was a difficult op, the surgeon said he had to manipulate my organs as I had a few lesions, plus I am overweight which didn't help.

He managed to keep it keyhole though it did take just over five hours.
I woke up in agony, they gave me morphene and I spent the night /next morning vomiting.

Day after still sick, had so many meds for the sickness but they only helped a little.

I came out of hospital on day three, still in a lot of pain but gradually decreasing (I could hobble to the car anyway!) and it's now day 6 but the pain on my right side is still breathtaking at times (deep breaths etc)

Reading here everyone else seems to have a speedy recovery and I'm pretty sure I'm no snowflake when it comes to pain (4 c sections) so I'm wondering if anyone else had a rough time of it?

Please tell me this is normal, the thought of going back into hospital because of a complication is horrendous and I'm getting a bit concerned.

Thank you 😊

ChristineBaskets Sun 09-Jun-19 17:44:09

I had my gallbladder out when I was about 26, I was healthy and slim at the time and I found it very painful afterwards and it took me a couple of weeks to recover. I thought there was something wrong as I'd been told recovery would be quick and easy. I had keyhole but like you I had a long op because of adhesions (I think you mean this instead of lesions?) and I think this can make your insides more bruised and inflamed afterwards.

I hope you feel more normal soon OP, take it easy and don't worry about recovery time at the moment. Just rest and recuperate with some nice food and tv. I am SO glad I had my op when I did as I have had zero problems since and I would really not like to go through the op again now that I am 47!

Wall2WallArseholes Sun 09-Jun-19 17:52:26

Christine Baskets thank you flowers flowers

Yes I mean adhesions blush

That's very reassuring, just what I was hoping for x

AuntieDolly Sun 09-Jun-19 17:54:28

I was expecting to be out the same day and assumed it would be an easy recovery, but I was in for 3 days and it was 2 weeks before I felt well again.

ejk10 Sun 09-Jun-19 17:58:31

I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago as an emergency. Mine was infected, stuck to my liver and falling apart. Like you I was very lucky for it to be keyhole.
It took me about 2 months to recover. I had to keep reminding myself that just because the external scar wasn't big it didn't mean that the operation was a simple one.
Be kind to yourself - my GP told me that my op (which seems very similar to yours) was was not a routine gallbladder removal so recover would be longer.
I found sleeping propped up helped for a couple of weeks - and at first don't be too far from a loo when you eat - but that has settled for me now x

kazza446 Sun 09-Jun-19 17:59:51

Give yourself a couple of weeks to feel better. I had a sharp pain too for just over a week. I think it’s due to the air they pump your abdomen. I went back to work after 3 weeks but certainly wasn’t up for it before x

Ted27 Mon 10-Jun-19 00:53:27

I had mine out last Sunday, I've been on the waiting list for 9 months and had managed to lose a little weight in the last few weeks.
I was in and out on the same day so very straightforward. A week on my incisions are healed but it's still all very tender and sore. I can't bend, stretch or lift anything more than a mug of tea and can only walk for about 10 minutes. I tried to carry some washing upstairs earlier and it was way too much. I'm signed off for two weeks but not sure if I'll be ready by then - I don't drive and work is 30 mins walk.
Your op sounds more complicated than mine, and just because the incisions are relatively small, don't forget that you have had your insides shoved about for 5 hours and you probably had an infection.
My pre-op info said no strenuous activity for four to six weeks. I wouldn't expect to be doing too much for a couple of weeks.
I just sneezed and it really hurt !

NoSauce Mon 10-Jun-19 14:17:39

How are you today OP? Hopefully a bit better flowers
I had mine out a few years ago and it took me a good few weeks to feel anything like normal. Take your time, rest as much as you can and potter about when you feel up to it.

ALemonyPea Mon 10-Jun-19 14:25:21

I had mine out in March, and it took at least three weeks before I felt I could breathe properly. The recovery took longer than I expected, after a few people told me they'd done XYZ the day after having theirs removed. I was sent home the same day, I wish I'd been allowed to at least stop in overnight as sleeping in My bed was a nightmare for the first night.

Everyone heals differently, and you've had what sounds like a bit more of a traumatic time than some.

notapizzaeater Mon 10-Jun-19 14:37:05

I had mine out 10 days ago - tried keyhole but ended up open surgery. Am still in lot of pain but I managed to sleep on my side for part of the night smilesmile

Wall2WallArseholes Mon 10-Jun-19 15:42:59

Hi everyone
Thank you for all your replies.
I was at the out of hours doc last night as the pain was just getting worse.
Turns out I have an infection so I'm now on two antibiotics and stronger pain killers (thank the lord! grin)

It is definitely reassuring to hear that not everyone bounces back quite so easily, I breezed through my c sections but then, I wasn't 40. That probably doesn't help!

Notapizzaeater I hope you feel better soon too.

peachgreen Mon 10-Jun-19 15:46:21

I had a similar experience; keyhole but I had lots of adhesion and needed two extra incisions. I found the recovery really tough - much worse than from my c-section, despite that being pretty disastrous as c-sections go and involving removal of a large cyst too. And I was only in my 20s when I had my gallbladder removed. Hope you feel better soon OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »