Talk

Advanced search

Compression socks post surgery - how long?

(9 Posts)
Bloodybridget Fri 07-Jun-19 07:16:39

I am 14 days post major abdominal surgery, and have been wearing the compression socks all the time. Was told I could stop when moving around normally, but what does that mean, exactly? I'm moving around my 3-storey house and going for a short walk every day, doing around 3500 steps: normal for me would be 10,000 or more. No history of vascular problems. Any thoughts? Tvm.

OP’s posts: |
LarkDescending Sat 08-Jun-19 10:42:43

I left hospital on day 10 after my biggest op (open hemicolectomy) and was still seeing a district nurse for wound care for (I think) 2 weeks after that. I wasn’t required to wear the stockings after day 14, as I was up and about and not in bed or sitting around for long periods of time.

It sounds like you are fully mobile, even if not as active as usual. Have you had any advice re stockings from the team caring for you?

Bloodybridget Sat 08-Jun-19 21:16:33

Oh thanks Larkdescending, that's very helpful. I actually left the socks off yesterday morning, and I am assuming it will be ok, it's not like I'm staying in one place more than an hour at a time. I have an appointment for a blood test at my GP practice on Monday so I could ask then.

SqueekyNuts Sun 09-Jun-19 06:53:14

I was told 2-3 weeks until I had resumed normal mobility. After 2 weeks I was moving about very similar to normal although much slower so I took them off plus I hated the feeling of wearing them in bed

honeyrider Mon 10-Jun-19 00:15:07

I had to wear them all the time for 3 days and nights then daily for another 4 days after I had my varicose veins done recently.

Taytotots Mon 10-Jun-19 00:37:02

They don't make you wear them at all over here (Canada). Not sure why. Obviously not saying to ignore your medical advice but I found the policy difference interesting.

isamonster Mon 10-Jun-19 00:50:10

I had a hip replacement two years ago - late 40s - nurse told me i didnt need to wear them as I was moving around well enough. She said it was more helpful if you were elderly. Hope that's helpful.

Nat6999 Mon 10-Jun-19 01:09:48

I always leave mine at the hospital because I can't stand wearing tights or socks, unless you are confined to bed or have previous history of DVT, I would think you are ok.

Bloodybridget Mon 10-Jun-19 06:24:21

Thanks very much all! Have left them off four days now and confident it's fine. Postsurgical neuropathy in upper legs, not so good!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »