Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ovary pain....can it sometimes be agony but perfectly normal?

(9 Posts)
PellMell Mon 23-Jul-07 11:33:18

I am trying not to concentrate on a really horrible pain in the lower left side of my stomach. It is bloody agony though!!!

I think it is in the area of my ovary and i cannot lean toward the keyboard without feeling like I am squashing something.
I have taken nurofen and am trying to take my mind off it
anyone else get this sometimes???

luciemule Mon 23-Jul-07 17:52:31

God yes - ovulation pain is awful but usually eases with pain relief.
Sometimes, I can hardly walk upstairs as it's so bad. As soon as you start to get it, take the tablets!

UCM Mon 23-Jul-07 17:56:40

Just letting you know that I had pain there recently and it became so bad that I thought it was appendicitus. It turned out to be a cyst upon my ovary and a bloody big one at that. The sonographer said it made her eyes water - wimp . If the pain is worse than normal and unlike anything you have ever had before I would see your gp as an emergency tomorrow. He/she should refer you for a scan so you can find out whats causing it. The appendix is the right side, so I doubt it's that. Good luck.

Artichokes Mon 23-Jul-07 17:56:58

My first ovulation after pregnancy was sheer agony. It lasted about 48 hours and at times I could hardly walk.

However I have also had a large ovarian cyst and that pain was similar. I thought it was ovulation but it didn't go away and eventually I needed surgery.

callmeovercautious Mon 23-Jul-07 17:57:19

I get this, had my ovaries scanned twice and they can't find anything (also had tests for other things that could cause it). I have now given up and accepted that I will have to take pain killers. I think it is ovulation pain but it has got worse as I have gotten older.
Also constipation can cause pain in the lower left as your Colon runs down that side.

peachypie Mon 23-Jul-07 18:01:33

Yes, i really feel for you, I get this too. Its awful I cant walk when i have it, every footstep makes it more acute. The only thing for it is pain killers and a warm bath (if you can fit it in between looking after the DC's)
Hope your feeling better soon.

saralou Mon 23-Jul-07 18:09:13

cysts can be quite painful and large, sometimes they can twist on themelves which is very painful... if it carries on or gets worse contact a dr

definitely not pg?

PellMell Mon 23-Jul-07 20:37:01

Thanks for these messages. It has persisted all day.
It has eased and returned in waves all day mostly whilst sitting or bending forward. It definately feels like I am squashing something really tender. It radiates around my back and makes me feel like I am going to pass out. It then tails off whilst I walk about slowly.
I will see how I feel tomorrow.

luciemule Mon 23-Jul-07 21:41:39

Have you thought about it possibly being fibroids? Sometimes if they're quite large, you can actually feel them from outside.

When I had my 20 wk scan with DS2, the sonographer kept wheeling the mouse thing over mine and it really hurt!

Then she said - oh, you've got a fibroid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now