Talk

Advanced search

Fibroids in fifties & menopause - any experience?

(4 Posts)
Bloodyfibroids Wed 05-Jun-19 08:36:16

I'm 52 and 6 years ago was diagnosed with multiple fibroids following heavy bleeding during and between periods. Due to their location they could not be removed, only trimmed down.

I've had 2 surgeries for this, the last one nearly 3 years ago where extensive trimming was done. However, I was warned it may need repeating in the future as the buggers have a habit of growing back!

During my first surgery, a mirena coil was put in but it was a disaster - acne & constant spotting for 9 months. I had it removed and, despite my age, went back on the combined pill (cilest) which I'd been on most of my life, apart from TTC. I had a couple of natural cycles between the mirena and the pill and they were heavy and less than 3 weeks apart, I couldn't cope with that! My cycles when TTC were 28-30 days so I'm guessing the shorter cycles was a sign of the menopause? With the pill, periods are still very heavy and clotty but only once a month and I can plan around them.

However, last couple of months I've started bleeding before the end of my pill pack (currently flooding!), a sure sign of more treatment being required.

Hysterectomy was discussed in the past but dismissed as I was told fibroids would likely disappear due to menopause which, due to my age, must be imminent. Keyhole is not an option for me so extensive recovery time would be needed which I don't have time for. I also have too many fibroids for ablation to be an option. However, surely the pill is suppressing the menopause and possibly even encouraging the fibroids the grow due to the estrogen?

I'm wondering whether to have another surgery and come off the pill, let the menopause happen, and hopefully the fibroids will disappear for good?

I will obviously go back to my gp & consultant for advice but wondered if, in the meantime, anyone had any experience of this or advice?

Many thanks if you got this far!

OP’s posts: |
digerd Sat 08-Jun-19 15:29:14

My sister had one at 56 but had been on the mini pill for 20 years. She came off it had the fibroid taken out and 15 years later has had no more or any problems since. She experienced no menopausal symptoms either.

Good luck

OliviaBenson Sat 08-Jun-19 15:34:54

I'm in my 30s but I've had fibroids and was taken off cilest as it's the oestrogen hormone (sp?) that can cause fibroids.

Bloodyfibroids Sat 08-Jun-19 22:11:07

I was quite surprised that they let me continue on cilest what with my age & the oestogen but kept stumm as it's pretty much controlled the bleeding to date.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »