Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is rainwater safe to drink?

(18 Posts)
PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 22:52:01

Surely rainwater that's fallen outside an urban area and has been collected in a clean container is safe to drink? Does anyone know?

LongDeadMotherofHarryP Sun 22-Jul-07 22:52:58

Just boil it if you are feeling hesitant.

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 22:54:32

Yes, I know I could do that, but I wonder whether you can just drink it from the bucket. It smells so good!

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 22-Jul-07 22:55:47

I would boil it.....your bucket won't be hygenicaly clean even if your rainwater is/....

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 22:55:50

Actually, just boiling wouldn't be enough if it had environmental pollutants. That's why I said outside an urban area, as I assume that rain that has fallen in, say, London, will be fairly well contaminated by nasty chemicals.

LongDeadMotherofHarryP Sun 22-Jul-07 22:56:15

Go on, live dangerously (as long as the bucket is clean of course).

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 22:56:25

Doesn't have to be a bucket, I could put a salad bowl out to collect rainwater.

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 22-Jul-07 22:56:53

That is true PC....but just because it has fallen in a rural area doesn't mean the clouds weren't formed in London

LongDeadMotherofHarryP Sun 22-Jul-07 22:57:33

I figure it is raining where you are then? Just remember not to collect it in a colander.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sun 22-Jul-07 22:58:03

thats what was about to say sms.

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 22:58:08

Mmm...good point.

I suppose the question is - do I want to live dangerously?

LongDeadMotherofHarryP Sun 22-Jul-07 22:59:40

I'd be the wrong person for advice on that one - look what happened to me (long sad sigh as I recall my poor little 1 year old with a head scar)

SaintGeorge Sun 22-Jul-07 23:00:29

You need to sterilise it using a UV light filter (if planning on doing this long term) or else boil it.

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 23:00:30

No, for once it's not raiing! It's been a lovely sunny aftertoon here. But the rainbutt smells gorgeous, and when dh was sweeping water out of our courtyard he raised such a stunning fragrance...mmmm. Until we got a rainbutt I had no idea that rainwater smells good!

LongDeadMotherofHarryP Sun 22-Jul-07 23:02:24

With such a heightened sense of smell I'm guessing you ar pregnant.

Toady Sun 22-Jul-07 23:05:02

when we lived abroad (Papua New Guinea) our water supply was from a rain water tank in the garden, all drinking water was boiled.

Llewsmum Sun 22-Jul-07 23:06:12

I say drink it - our water comes from a spring & I haven't died yet............

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 23:06:14

LOL. No, I'm not. But I do have a fairly good sense of smell (which is a total pain when I'm pg).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: