Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

severe-ish left-sided abdominal pain, what IS it??? :-(

(84 Posts)
greensleeves Sun 22-Jul-07 09:45:14

I had it more mildly yesterday and Friday, but it's really bad today, what could it be?

elesbells Sun 22-Jul-07 09:47:08

are you constipated?

Pinkchampagne Sun 22-Jul-07 09:47:35

apendix?

Durdle Sun 22-Jul-07 09:47:37

Ovulations?

Pinkchampagne Sun 22-Jul-07 09:49:24

Could be ovulation pain

greensleeves Sun 22-Jul-07 09:52:26

Is it normal to feel pain when ovulating then? I never have before

it is really nasty.

Durdle Sun 22-Jul-07 09:55:13

Mine is agony every month, to the point I usually take ibuprofen for the day to help with the pain. I know which side ovary DD came out of as I had left sided pain that month!

Pinkchampagne Sun 22-Jul-07 09:55:15

Some people get ovulation pain, although I have never experienced it myself, I think it's quite common.
Is the pain quite low down?

Durdle Sun 22-Jul-07 09:55:49

I have been told this is quite normal though. Means you're in tune with your body I guess?

greensleeves Sun 22-Jul-07 09:57:07

Is it normal to suddenly start having ovulation pain though, if you've never had it before?

I hope it is that, at least it's not anything dangerous!!

lisad123 Sun 22-Jul-07 09:58:06

It depends on how bad really, I have had that and thought it was to do with my SPD, but sadly not
I was discharged from hospital yesterday, it was a kindey infection
The pain was very bad, brought tears to my eyes and had me screaming.
Maybe make an appointment with GP, might be a small water infection.
Good luck
L

Pinkchampagne Sun 22-Jul-07 10:09:21

I agree that it is best to make a GP appt, just to be sure.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 22-Jul-07 11:29:55

Has this occured before?.

Are you mid cycle?. Any mid cycle pain should be investigated further by a gynae.

Ovulation pain is short and sharp, certainly does not last for days on end.

Would see your GP asap.

BettySpaghetti Sun 22-Jul-07 11:49:03

Appendix is on the right so unlikely to be that

lulumama Sun 22-Jul-07 12:10:23

have you been TTC ? is it possible you are pregnant? if so, one sided pain needs checking?

any discharge?

sorry you are in pain x

amidaiwish Sun 22-Jul-07 12:21:13

is it around the back (kidneys?) or more to the front (abdominal)
how low down?

greensleeves Sun 22-Jul-07 13:50:51

I do seem to have a UTI, I was hoping it would just clear up on its own. Can that cause really bad pain in the abdomen, on one side? I have nausea and a bit of light-headedness too.

Mercy Sun 22-Jul-07 13:55:05

I had a UTI a few months ago - I felt really awful. Pain in my side, fluey, nauseaous.

After 48 hours I wasn't any better so I had to see an out of hours GP and was given anti-biotics.

I'd arrange to see a doctor asap, tbh. Hope you feel better soon.

amidaiwish Sun 22-Jul-07 14:03:55

yes it can
excruciating pain
do get to the doctor, you probably need anti biotics. you don't want it getting worse - kidney infection.

greensleeves Sun 22-Jul-07 14:11:15

have got a 'duty doctor' calling me back in a minute

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 22-Jul-07 14:20:18

Kidney infection causes severe pain.

Can happen without warning, or, as a consequence of an untreated water infection.

Take ibuprofen and paracetamol - together, drink plenty of water, use a hot water bottle for the pain and wait for the doctor to see you. Antibiotics will start helping it within a few hours.

greensleeves Sun 22-Jul-07 16:29:57

Have got antibiotics and instructions to go to walk-in centre at the hospital if it gest worse in the next 6 hours, or if it doesn't improve after 24 hours.

Serves me right for not making time to get the UTI sorted out I suppose. It's bloody excruciating

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 22-Jul-07 16:54:48

Hot water bottle and drugs. Have had lots of UTI's and 2 kidney infections. They are excruciating, its true. Rest plenty too. That means laying down, not sitting in front of the computer

amidaiwish Sun 22-Jul-07 17:05:17

lots of sympathy to you
i remember having one once in france over New Year with friends, i rang BA in the middle of the night to check flight availability home, was convinced i needed urgent hospital treatment it was so painful.

the antibiotics should help quite fast, and don't hold back on the pain relief! hot water bottle or a hot wheat pack would be good.

take care x

Mercy Sun 22-Jul-07 17:32:59

Glad you saw a Dr.

As others say, the ABs can work really fast so you should be on the mend pretty soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now