Talk

Advanced search

Streptococcus found in my urine :(

(22 Posts)
stirling Fri 31-May-19 22:57:47

Can anyone please tell me how serious this is because it's late and I'm having a terrible panic.

My GP called to say that they found bacteria in my urine lab test (I've been having symptoms like bladder /urethral pain, high frequency, night time weeing off the scales... on and off for 6 weeks.) I've been using the estrogen pessary religiously as advised on this board but don't think it's related...

I've had one test that came clear, gp dipsticks that show leukocytes... But now she's saying that they found strep apparently it's unusual. There wasn't enough bacteria to warrant action but they want to repeat the test Monday. Needless to say my symptoms have gone through the roof and I'm terrified.

I've read it's impossible to treat... Two years ago I had an e coli infection that became antibiotic resistant and after 10 courses of antibiotics I was told I could go into sepsis. I eventually managed to recover but that was pure hell and very scary.

Now I'm scared I have this new bacteria... Is it really impossible to shift?
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
MerryInthechelseahotel Fri 31-May-19 23:02:37

I believe its a bacteria that lives on our skin and on our body. It only is a problem when it turns into a full blown infection. Do you have high-temperature or any other symptoms?

MerryInthechelseahotel Fri 31-May-19 23:04:18

It's not a new bacteria and there are antibiotics that can treat it.

stirling Fri 31-May-19 23:06:40

Thank you Merry, I haven't got a fever but I feel a bit warm and run down this evening... The worry and crying isn't helping...

I was virtually symptom free for four days this week, it came back this morning...

stirling Fri 31-May-19 23:07:37

And then when my gp called, I really began to spiral. Thank you for making me feel a tad more positive

stirling Fri 31-May-19 23:09:38

Mainly feeling inflamed and sore in the bladder and urethra, going often, incomplete emptying and "feeling" my bladder bounce with pain as I walk down the stairs

stirling Sat 01-Jun-19 17:26:44

Anyone else had this?

mushroom3 Sun 02-Jun-19 00:30:04

It's the bacterium that is usually associated with throat infections/tonsillitis and should respond well to antibiotics. Good luck OP

stirling Sun 02-Jun-19 07:42:23

Thank you mushroom...

NicoAndTheNiners Sun 02-Jun-19 07:47:18

Can't believe they're not treating it when you have symptoms and a positive culture test!

stirling Sun 02-Jun-19 11:50:07

I know Nico, it's a miracle that the doctor actually called to tell me. I worry more about the lack of medical care/ not knowing who to turn to - than the actual infection itself... Currently tanked up on painkillers.
The maddening thing is that from time to time my symptoms clear up for about 48 hours then come flooding back

Helendee Sun 02-Jun-19 14:35:55

Stirling

If antibiotics don’t help (they should) have a look at the Sweet Cures website; they sell Xylotene powder amongst other things and Xylotene can overcome strep infections and move them out of the body.
Best of luck.

stirling Sun 02-Jun-19 14:47:00

Helendee thank you for that, I had no idea. Been taking my d mannose religiously but stopped when I was told it was strep... As I know d mannose targets e coli.

Thank you

mushroom3 Sun 02-Jun-19 18:03:33

Strep infections can be persistent, so do get antibiotics.

Helendee Sun 02-Jun-19 18:24:02

Stirling

I haven’t tried it personally but apparently it tackles non E. coli strep infections. X

stirling Sun 02-Jun-19 22:27:28

Thank you both, I'm calling gp tomorrow as symptoms escalating as time goes on...

MerryInthechelseahotel Thu 06-Jun-19 13:30:53

How are you today, op?

stirling Thu 06-Jun-19 15:06:16

Hi MerryInthechelseahotel, thanks for asking. I'm feeling a bit better this week. What mystifies me the most is how symptoms sporadically "disappear" - not totally but 90%. I don't believe it's fully gone away though. It never does.
Im taking the xylotene. My urine sample sent to the lab on Monday has come back clear so I'm very confused!
Seeing yet another urologist tomorrow.

Seaweed42 Thu 06-Jun-19 15:57:34

Just wondering do you any exercise of a particular type? I have a prolapse and certain exercises will bring on bouts of 'trigger happy' urethra and frequency.

stirling Thu 06-Jun-19 16:54:13

Hi Seaweed,

I walk for about 10 mins every day, uphill and downhill. Sometimes 20 mins. During a flare, no exercise..
When things are OK, I cautiously head back to the gym for a mere 20 min on the cross trainer (no longer run, cycle, weight train etc).

What exercise do you do that triggers it? I often wondered about the link..

Seaweed42 Thu 06-Jun-19 18:16:14

Any exercise that pushes down on your pelvic floor, can slightly alter the position of your bladder and urethra. For me it'd be walking uphill too fast, or even swimming I'll notice it the next day or two. Then it gets 'better'.
I guess just take notice of the symptoms the day after you've been on the Cross Trainer and just see if the symptoms are worse. May or may not be a factor in the discomfort.

stirling Fri 07-Jun-19 11:13:31

Thanks Seaweed, sounds like me - walking uphill too fast definitely triggers.
What to do? Wondering which exercise is left! Pilates? Very frustrating..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »