Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a “speech test” with audiology/ENT (testing your ability to discriminate speech from background noise... I think?!)

(3 Posts)
Cagliostro Thu 30-May-19 19:13:16

I had a basic hearing test today which was clear as I expected, but I have been told to go back to the GP and ask for a “speech test” because my main issue is that I can’t understand speech easily if there is any background noise at all. I really struggle with crowd noise, have to use subtitles even when tv volume is up etc.

(Am trying to get referred for white noise generators which I posted about the other day here)

Does anyone know what it is, how it works, how I even ask for it? Is it just speech alone or is it involving background noise too as that’s the issue? Thank you thanks

OP’s posts: |
OhSnake Fri 31-May-19 10:10:33

I've been referred for this - appointment in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how it goes! Mine's via the GP; referred to audiology for a bog standard hearing test, which, like yours, showed no hearing loss. But like you, I really struggle to hear speech when there's background noise. The audiologist said she could refer on to another clinic where they treat auditory processing, which she's done and I'm going along soon. Hoping they can do something; the auditory processing thing made me think a lot about hearing issues, and how mine are definitely worse when I'm tired or stressed, so maybe it's to do with how I process sound. Both DC are on the autistic spectrum and have significant sensory issues, which has also given me food for thought around ASD and my own traits!

Cagliostro Fri 31-May-19 11:37:35

Thank you for replying, yes would love to hear (no pun intended hmm) how it goes!

I didn’t even know there was a clinic for auditory processing specifically, is that NHS too?

I never really thought it was something I could do anything about, but I’m quietly hoping it is because it has such a huge effect on me - I think a lot of my social anxiety and fear of crowds is due to the noise issues, it affects my self esteem especially as I feel stupid when I don’t understand something or don’t even hear it if someone isn’t right in front of me. I’m caught between needing to lip read to supplement my hearing, and finding it hard to look at people’s faces because autism and eye contact don’t generally mix!

Anyway, your reply has reminded me to phone up and book an appointment with the GP so going to do that now! Good luck with your test!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »