Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anything that cures chronic sinusitis? prety please....

(14 Posts)
StarryStarryNight Sat 21-Jul-07 17:56:12

Is there a cure out there? Is there anybody there who has a positive experience with alternative medicine, such as homoepathy, acupuncture, etc?

I am so tired of eating antibiotics like it was opera mints, and decongestant tablets, using nasal sprays, and steam inhalation. I get sinusitis on the average 6-8 times a year. Now I am starting to have adverse reactions to antibiotics too, and need antihistamine.... sob

belgo Sat 21-Jul-07 17:59:53

have you asked for an ear/nose/throat referral?

StarryStarryNight Sat 21-Jul-07 18:04:43

Belgo, saw the consultant recently, had the CT scan last week, but was not ill then, so dont know what they could have seen. Consultant wants to do allergy testing further down the line. But, we have laminate flooring and ceramic tiles, anti allergy carpets in the bedrooms, "minimalist style" with few curtains, hardly any ornaments, no plants, hardly any dust, weekly cleaner, no pets, only dusting with moist cloth, nobody smokes here, nothing in this house is scented, not even me! Dont know what more I can do....

Crotchety Sat 21-Jul-07 18:23:20

I have chronic sinusitis. I eat horseradish from the jar etc and know where you are coming from. I am on the steroid sprays and will probably have an op sooner or later acc to the consultant. Have tried alternatives - acupuncure didn't work. However I have just had 4 sessions of reflexology and it's a lot better...

DANCESwithDumbledore Sat 21-Jul-07 18:25:58

How does reflexology help? (another sufferer here)

StarryStarryNight Sat 21-Jul-07 18:26:57

Crotchety, Reflexology, that is pressurepoints in your feet isnt it? Maybe it is worth trying. Begining to feel a little desperate now. I use Flixonase spray, it has made miniscule difference.

debgronow Sat 21-Jul-07 18:33:17

have you tried a neti pot.
its a bit like a teapot, you bend over the sink with you head on one side and put the spout in your nostril pour warm salty water up one nostril. water pours out the other nostril and cleanses your nasal passages and sinuses.

gegs73 Sat 21-Jul-07 18:55:09

I had sinus problems really badly as a child I had numerous antibiotics, sprays, homoepathic remedies etc etc and nothing worked. I had an operation to drain my sinuses when I was 14 and they also drilled something (?) to make sure that my sinuses drained by themselves better. It wasn't a pleasant operation though it wasn't particularly painful afterwards, I just couldn't breathe through my nose for maybe 3 weeks. However I have not had any problems ever since, so really really glad I had it done. All I really want to say is do try and push for the operation as for me it was the only thing that worked.

UCM Sat 21-Jul-07 19:07:53

Just a short term measure but menthol crystals are extremely good for this, they clear your head immediately. They come in a tiny jar but you only need a pinhead or two.

TheMaskedPoster Sat 21-Jul-07 19:16:43

oh god you poor things!

I have just a had a bout of Acute Sinusitis and, bloody hell it was AWFUL!

Headaches (like me head was gonna explode), throataches (like swallowing razorblades), earaches for weeks - ending in a cold like thing which has just hung around making me miserable!

Was popping painkillers, sinutab/sudafed, nasal spray like they were going out of fashion (no antibiotics as the damn thing was viral .. apparently!)

I wish you luck in finding something that will help you, I really do!

StarryStarryNight Sat 21-Jul-07 19:16:53

debgronov, I have not tried a neti pot, can I get them in health food shops? It is mostly my forehead sinuses causing the problems, will it work?

UCM, do I pour into freshboiled water and use as steam inhalation? Can I get it at any pharmacy?

StarryStarryNight Sat 21-Jul-07 19:19:18

TheMaskedPoster, count yourself lucky. The pressure is so big my eyeballs are nearly popping out! It is worse after I had kids, somehow...

Thanks for sympathy!

Ceolas Sat 21-Jul-07 19:20:02

Menthol is great for relief of symptoms. You can get it in any chemist. A few crystals dropped in not quite boiling water. It is strong stuff!

Crotchety Sat 21-Jul-07 20:15:00

I find flixonase kind of works, but not as well as it used to. Also tried the nasal irrigation stuff (neti pot type thing) but I was usually too blocked for it to flow through anyway.

I don't know how reflexology works - depends how mystical your practitioner is as to how they expain it. Mine is pretty matter of fact and says there is a pattern of pathways through the body (neural? dunno) and that stimulating the relevant areas on the feet (or hands, but feet are bigger so more to go on) it sends a message to the affected part of the body.

Anyway I had 4 treatments and whether it was that or whether it was going to improve of its own volition I can't say, but it improved hugely. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be when I get another bad bout and I go again. One treatment probably won't do it - as I say, my person thought four. Worth a go I'd say from my own experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now