Talk

Advanced search

Eczema

(10 Posts)
Nikobee33 Tue 28-May-19 22:40:24

I have really bad eczema around both my eyes. My gp won't give me steroid cream for around my eyes and asked me to go see him on Friday but I'm in so much pain with it. I was just wondering if anybody knows of any cream that will try to help until I go to the doctors on Friday! I'm in total agony! X

OP’s posts: |
SeaToSki Wed 29-May-19 01:41:49

Excema is often caused by an allergy, so you could try a hydrocortisone cream, but i dont know if you should use that close to your eyes, look at the box and see what it says. You can take a antihistamine pill like piriton, which might help. Also ice packs on your eyes.

Also put dust mite encasements on your mattress, pillow and duvet. Dust mites are one of the most common causes of excema

lhw92 Wed 29-May-19 01:51:50

Manuka honey cream to lower staph. Staphylococcus aureus is very common in most eczema sufferers, and whenever my skin is flaring (burning/weeping) I find it’s mainly due to staph proliferation. Manuka honey is a proven antibacterial, (don’t use ‘food’ source of honey though)

Also you could ask your Dr to be prescribed ‘Protopic’ (tacrolimus) as it’s not a steroid, I know some people found it worked wonders for their face

BusterGonad Wed 29-May-19 06:11:38

I would recommend no make up, a gentle wash with water only and some aveeno cream. I loved The Body Shop Aloe eye cream as it had prebiotic in it but I think it been discontinued. I'll have a quick Google for you.

BusterGonad Wed 29-May-19 06:18:27

Here it is, I'm not sure if it has the same prebiotics in it but when I had severe eczema ridden eyelids, you know, puffy, sore, dry flaky skin piled up, I honestly looked like I had been crying all night. This soothed it and it went. I bought the Aloe cleanser, day and night and eye cream. I'm not saying this cured it, it may have disappeared naturally but within 2 weeks my eyes were better than they had been for 6 months.

BusterGonad Wed 29-May-19 06:26:08

I've just found a better picture and I can just make out that it still has prebiotics in it. That's what I think will help, they help your skin to replace its natural barrier so it repairs itself. I
Also, I found another cream yesterday which I've NOT tried, by Bioderma called DS+creme it's made specifically for flaky skin, I've read the reviews on amazon and various other places and people say it's great for sore, dry, red flaky skin. I'm tempted to buy some in payday as I have creppy (sp?) skin under my eye that needs some intense moisture. It isn't eczema but it's ugly and very very thin and lined.

Koskenkorva Wed 29-May-19 12:00:52

Mild bicarbonate of soda solution - safe on eyes and amazingly soothing.

Hortz Wed 29-May-19 15:41:20

lhw92 What do you do with the honey - eat it or spread it on the skin? Why Manuka will other honey do?

Hortz Wed 29-May-19 15:42:57

Ah sorry I just saw you said cream!
I was asking because I think I have some kind of skin infection. Waiting to see dermatologist.

BusterGonad Wed 29-May-19 16:20:08

So today I bought the Bioderma H2O cleasing water which I'll use as make up remover, it's amazing at getting mascara off without the rubbing etc. I also bought the DS + creme but I think it's more for sensitive oily skin, never mind, I'll use it anyway and report back!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »