Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a trapped/pinched nerve?

(16 Posts)
Inbedbynine Sun 26-May-19 15:53:45

I’m not sure if I have one in my shoulder or not. I see a chiropractor as my back/neck and right shoulder is knackered. She puts me all back together again and I plod along.

For the last almost 3 weeks Iv had awful pain in my shoulder. A real burning ‘pinching’ feeling when I lift my right arm up passed a certain height or reach out (like washing up etc). I saw the chiropractor who said my pelvis was out and put me all back and wasn’t concerned. It was no better so yesterday I had a sports massage and was told about tension etc but would they be able to ‘feel’ a trapped nerve? Today whilst not as bad, still hurts. It’s horrible. Iv had hot water bottles, tiger balm, stretching etc etc. Work is making it worse, in fact all movement makes it worse.

OP’s posts: |
thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 26-May-19 16:42:18

I have a recurring one, it is in my neck and I keep doing it either from sleeping funny or if something jars my arm. It can last 4 or 5 days. Oddly the one thing that really helps it is if I go for a really slow relaxed jog but I think that's because that's my 'relaxation mode'. Lying flat really makes it hurt.

Inbedbynine Sun 26-May-19 16:43:41

How was yours diagnosed?

It’s going on for a while now so a little worried and I can’t take anti inflammatories so only have co codamol which doesn’t actually help.

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 26-May-19 16:44:19

I had one that just never went 'til I saw a proper physiotherapist through my GP. One visit and it's sorted 😁.

It's horrible OP, you have my sympathy.

Mishappening Sun 26-May-19 16:46:32

Ditch the chiropractor. You can cause serious damage if there is a nerve root entrapment.

Inbedbynine Sun 26-May-19 16:56:15

How would I find out if I do have one? Would the gp be able to tell by examining me? Iv known the chiropractor a long time and I do trust her.

lyrebird1 Sun 26-May-19 17:22:24

Hi, my physiotherapist (NHS) is great at diagnosing exactly which nerve is causing a problem, just by examining movement, pain and sensation etc. They do manipulation as well as exercises.

Physios offer much longer appointment times than a GP, so I think they would be a better option for diagnosis. GP could offer some different pain relief options that work on nerve pain specifically.

Inbedbynine Sun 26-May-19 17:26:27

So go to the gp to ask for physio? I had physio on the nhs years ago and it was really pointless and didn’t help at all. Hopefully just a bad experience. I will ask for some sort of pain killer although not sure what else there is other than stronger co codamol.

goose1964 Sun 26-May-19 18:17:31

For pinched nerves you need nsaids rather than paracetamol,codeine etc. I'm susceptible to them.

Inbedbynine Sun 26-May-19 18:25:48

I can’t take anti inflammatory as gave me a stomach ulcer. What other options are there?

Will this likely to sort itself out?

Inbedbynine Sun 26-May-19 18:52:36

I keep getting a burning pain that feels almost like electricity?

Runkle Mon 27-May-19 03:27:33

You could ask for amitriptyline to see if it gives you any relief? I thought I had a pinched nerve but it was rotator cuff injury causing the pain, it took a lot of massages and ultrasound therapy followed by ice packs. With my NHS board you can self refer for physio so you could try that?

Inbedbynine Mon 27-May-19 07:20:05

I’m actually in the pain clinic (through the gp) but that is for possible Fibromyalgia. Not had any type of therapy at all just chats. Awaiting the possibility of injections in my neck but not sure what they are until I can get an appointment with a specific doctor!

I don’t want to go on anything like amitriptilyne as I’m currently coming off low dose of anxiety meds and anti depressants do not work well with my body as been on lots of different ones before.

Runkle Mon 27-May-19 09:33:56

Understandable. Hope you get sorted soon

Inbedbynine Mon 27-May-19 11:03:48

Should I rest it or carry on as normal?

Inbedbynine Mon 27-May-19 20:05:33

Does anyone know?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »