Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Mummy, there's something wormlike wriggling in my poo..."

(33 Posts)
lilymum Fri 20-Jul-07 10:29:29

Kids are so disgusting! What am I supposed to do? Worm her with drontal?? Seriously, anyone had problems with worms before? Does she need a prescription or can I get away with a quick trip to the counter at Boots? Any suggestions greatfully received!

AnAngelWithin Fri 20-Jul-07 10:30:17

prispen over the counter is good. or ovex i think its called.

AnAngelWithin Fri 20-Jul-07 10:30:43

the prispen is strawberry flavoured and easier to take

PanicPants Fri 20-Jul-07 10:31:00

Poor you! Sorry no advice though. Someone will know though.

MegaLegilimens Fri 20-Jul-07 10:31:18

Can buy over the counter in chemist Pripsen or Ovex are a couple I have ermm ahem.. heard of . Whole family should take but not if you are breast feeding!!

MegaLegilimens Fri 20-Jul-07 10:31:43

Wow I'm slow x post AAW

clapton Fri 20-Jul-07 10:32:50

Ovex in tablet form is good, my children did have a remedy in drink form but hated it. Ovex is just one tablet, then repeat again in two weeks if they still have symptons. You can get these over the counter at Boots.

Budababe Fri 20-Jul-07 10:33:53

They don't tall you about this in ante-natal class do they??

lilymum Fri 20-Jul-07 10:46:23

Thank you! I am breastfeeding, so I'll obviously have to pass on worming myself, but I can't wait to tell dh the good news that he has do it too!

williamsmummy Fri 20-Jul-07 10:48:34

as well as worm tablets , boil wash your all towels,
as children dont wash hands very well and eggs get caught in towels!!!

KerryMumbledore Fri 20-Jul-07 10:48:48

You should repeat in 2 weeks regardless. The first dose kills adult worms but not eggs. The second dose kills the worms that the eggs in her body grew into (2 weeks later)

If you do a search you'll find lots of info on treating worms (there's a lot to do and in a rush otherwise I'd type it up again)

EVERYONE in family needs to be treated. Consult with GP about yourself because of bfing.

Ceolas Fri 20-Jul-07 10:49:38

We have used ovex tablets. They're chewable and orange flavoured. Nobody complained!

MegaLegilimens Fri 20-Jul-07 10:52:59

I am glad I mentione dthe breast feeding thing. DS3 had threadworms (saw them in the potty!!)I was so repulsed went straight to chemist, gave evryone a pill and took one myself (had done it before)then rread the packet. Of course sadi do not bf! Felt so stupid. Couldn't feed screaming DS4 then aged 3 months for 12 hours, had to try him on ff in a bottle which he hated and wouldn't drink, was a nightmare.

lilymum Fri 20-Jul-07 10:58:53

Oh yuk, eggs on towels!! And it's chucking it down with rain here, so can't go out to Boots yet. How did she get them?? Or do I not want to know...

Notquitegrownup Fri 20-Jul-07 11:05:14

You need to wash bedding and pyjamas too on a hot wash.

They are very very common and very very infectious - kids pick them up from each other v. easily.

<Sounds calm, but only because of reassuring friends who said all of this to me. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Not my favourite part of parenting>

lilymum Fri 20-Jul-07 11:05:46

Is this like headlice? Do I have to share the good news with dd1's friends and get them wormed too?

Notquitegrownup Fri 20-Jul-07 11:10:49

Hmm - you might mention that they are 'around' and warn friends to look out for the symptoms. Ds2's very best friend had them, and his mum casually told me - handing over a packet of Ovex at the same time!! The boys play, eat and breathe together all day - but we didn't get them that time. Later fell for an epidemic at school.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Fri 20-Jul-07 11:11:44

i wouldnt bother telling anyone really, their parents will soon know...if she goes to nursery etc you might wanna tell them!

you can take the strwberry stuff if breastfeeding just not ovex, dd was infected when i was pg with ds and as she was under 2 and i was pg we had that stuff but its absolutely rank, couldnt keep it down, had to try preventative measures till i could take the tablets and dd (2.5yo then) took the tablet fine too!

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Fri 20-Jul-07 11:13:32

lilymum, you don't need worming if you're breastfeeding (you can't take the stuff anyway!). You can get away with scrupulous hygiene and no scratching your (or your children's) bottoms . Been there, done that. [Sigh]

lilymum Fri 20-Jul-07 11:15:09

Oh great, washing bedlinen, my least favourite job - dd1 is on the top bunk and has about 300 small furry toys in her bed, plus a small library up there. My usual cue for washing bedlinen is when one of them wets the bed

lilymum Fri 20-Jul-07 11:17:12

What about dd4 - she's only 5 months old, I've noticed nothing dodgy in her nappies, surely I don't need to do her too?? Can see involved discussion at pharmaceutical counter is my only option, no doubt with half the shop listening in with horror.

Pannacotta Fri 20-Jul-07 11:25:25

You could call NHS direct for advice - bit less embarassing then the detailed conversation at the chemist!!

MegaLegilimens Fri 20-Jul-07 11:30:14

You can phone the pharmacist too. Often faster than waiting for NHS to ring back and ask you hundreds of questions.

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Fri 20-Jul-07 11:34:10

Hmmm.... I'd be tempted to leave the 5 month old if you've not seen any (although the pripsen is OK I think). You would see them in the nappy (someone on MN calls it "the nappy that waves" IIRC. It's foul!)

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Fri 20-Jul-07 11:38:28

i didnt treat ds (about 3month iirc) and he was fine...just be careful and csrupulous about hand washing !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now