Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds has just eaten some ant powder, do i need to panic?

(14 Posts)
lucykate Fri 20-Jul-07 09:58:34

we have a big ant problem in our house atm, i used a stick to push ant powder down some crevices in the kitchen last night. ds has just retrieved the stick out of the bin and was chewing on the end

i've wiped out his mouth as best i could, and he's sat having a drink. have rung nhs direct but waiting for them to ring back.

feel absolutely mortified this has happened

how much do i need to panic?

LilRedWG Fri 20-Jul-07 09:59:54

Not sure, but it doesn't sound as thogh he got hold of much. Have a look at the packet and see what it says.

butterbeer Fri 20-Jul-07 10:00:16

What does it say on the packaging from the ant powder? Active ingredients, etc.? Is there a number to call?

HairyPuter Fri 20-Jul-07 10:00:38

Um, look at what's in it. But to be honest I'd be straight to A&E

Notquitegrownup Fri 20-Jul-07 10:02:17

I'd go to A & E too. Take the ant powder packet with you.

Good luck

butterbeer Fri 20-Jul-07 10:06:10

Yes, to be honest I'd have gone to A&E rather than calling NHS Direct in this case.

nutcracker Fri 20-Jul-07 10:07:40

Definatly A&E

LilRedWG Fri 20-Jul-07 10:11:52

Not sure which brand you used, but I've just looked at Nippons Safety Sheet. It reads:

"Ingestion - low toxicity - based on components ingestion of large quantities by infants could lead to an erythematous rash, irritation of gastro intestinal tract, nausea, vomiting and defecation."

LilRedWG Fri 20-Jul-07 10:13:12

Sorry - that was for the liquid. The pwder one is more worrying:

"Ingestion – unlikely occupational hazard. Deliberate ingestion could lead to neurological signs and symptoms such as ataxia, tremors or convulsions."

Definitely A&E if Nippon powder.

lucykate Fri 20-Jul-07 10:29:18

sorry, nhs direct rang back and have spoken to a nurse who got hold of all the details of the powders ingrediants from her database of poisons.

he seems absolutely fine, no changes in his colour, mood etc

she said to look out for rash or swelling in his lips, mouth and throat, which should happen straight away, so far none has appeared. also that if he has digested any it will cause vomiting and stomach cramps but, you would have to consume quite a large quantity for this to happen, with small quantities, hospitals don't treat it, just allow it to pass through the system.

feel a bit less anxious, and thanks for all the speedy replies. it was tesco's own powder, and doesn't actually say anything on it as to what to do if consumed .

will just keep a close eye on him and run him to our doctors if he seems to change just to be sure. he's currently running round the sitting room chucking lego everywhere.

Notquitegrownup Fri 20-Jul-07 11:00:50

Whew. So glad to hear he is OK.

We've all been there, done that, at one time or another. (My ds2 stood up and drank an open bottle of neurofen - the first time he had ever stood, so I wasn't aware that he could reach it on the shelf above the bed!!) It's an awful feeling as you realise what they have done.

Enjoy your active little man.

LilRedWG Fri 20-Jul-07 15:35:39

Am glad to hear he is fine

Oblomov Fri 20-Jul-07 15:46:39

Glad he is o.k.
Ds3.5 did it the other day. He didn't get much though. NHS just advised plenty of fluids and keep an eye on him. No side effects at all.

lucykate Fri 20-Jul-07 19:15:33

relieved to hear i'm not the only mum this has happened to, everyone has been laughing about it all day.

ds is fine and in bed, not asleep yet, but in bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now