Talk

Advanced search

Broken a bone - how long to heal? And why did no-one tell me how painful this is??!

(10 Posts)
xxyzz Mon 20-May-19 11:22:25

I've broken my humerus just below my shoulder.

It really, really hurt - it was just over a week ago and is still agony if I move it at all.

Feeling sad from the pain - have never broken anything before - and the complete lack of interest/sympathy eg my work colleagues mainly not bothered to say anything at all, I messaged my dd at uni who has exams this week to wish her luck but she didn't even bother to ask how I was, etc.

Feeling sorry for myself (can you tell?).

Anyone who has ever broken a bone before, particularly this one, how long does it take until you can move without pain, and is regaining full movement likely?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
sebashocked Mon 20-May-19 11:57:08

You have my sympathy. I had a similar break (greater tuberosity) 7 months ago. It does get better (especially the sleeping) but takes a lot longer than I expected. Do your physio exercises following the schedule they give you to the letter. My shoulder was already damaged so not sure what pain was from the fracture and what was previous tendon problems. I still haven't got full mobility back and am having surgery next week to (hopefully) sort it out. Met someone who broke his about 2 weeks after me and he's now back to normal though a bit achey at times. Hope it gets less painful soon - on the positive side you do get very good, very fast at doing things one-handed.

greenelephantscarf Mon 20-May-19 12:04:22

no one told me how long it would take to heal.
cast for 5-6 weeks and I thought that would be it. was more like 6 months until it didn't feel 'broken' anymore.

greenelephantscarf Mon 20-May-19 12:06:29

tbh, the pain in my cases (ulna, metatarsal) was almost gone the instant the cast was on.
do you have good support/a cast?

hope it feels better soon!

xxyzz Mon 20-May-19 12:45:22

Thank you! No, no cast as due to where it is, I don't think they can cast it, so I just have a sling. Everytime it jolts, it hurts - a lot.

I can't wait till it doesn't feel 'broken' any more. Or at least until I can accidentally move it without flinching/screaming. sad

xxyzz Mon 20-May-19 12:46:26

Wish you luck for your surgery and recovery, sebashocked!

elastamum Mon 20-May-19 12:51:41

Poor you, you have my sympathy.

I recently broke my radius in my dominant arm. Was kicked by a horse so a big trauma injury - had it fixed under a nerve block with a plate and screws so no cast. First 3 weeks were really difficult, every time I moved it it hurt. Next month was not so bad. Now 10 weeks on I can do most things I could before, but am still building the strength back.

Have just about weaned myself off the painkillers and have a massive scar like a zip on my forearm!

Ces6 Mon 20-May-19 12:52:32

Mine still hurts after 15 years. Sorry!

xxyzz Mon 20-May-19 15:17:13

shock

Though I really need a [wince] face here.

Ouch, that sounds so painful, elastamum.

And Ces6, sorry to hear that. I hope it's a bit better than it was initially.

Nat6999 Tue 21-May-19 21:02:12

My late partner broke his just above his elbow drunken arm wrestling, it totally snapped, it was horrific, his arm flapping all over the place while he was passing out. The consultant told him it is the most painful bone in the body to break as there are so many nerves in that area. He ended up on Oramorph after being admitted to hospital after overdosing on Dihydracodeine. It took about four months before the pain totally subsided.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »