Advanced search

My feet hurt too much to walk

(45 Posts)
spaghettttiiii Mon 20-May-19 06:58:31

I know this sounds ridiculous and I would hate to go to the GP sounding pathetic but my feet hurt.

They keep me awake at night with pain and throbbing. When I stand, I have to limp halfway across the room before I can bear to put any weight on them. They painfully ache all of the time.

I have a job where I am on my feet for most of the day but it has only recently been like this.

Is it just old age, do I need to get used to it, or is there something I need to get myself to the GP for?

OP’s posts: |
jackstini Mon 20-May-19 06:59:46

Get to the gp or a podiatrist
Could be plantar fasciitis or Morton's neuroma or something else entirely but you need it looked at, yes

Bluegreencoloursflashing Mon 20-May-19 07:04:18

No, it's not old age. And don't let your GP fob you off. Insoles for your shoes, exercises, possibly medication can help. You don't have to live with this pain.

loz1986 Mon 20-May-19 07:06:15

Are you on any medication? A medication I take makes my feet hurt all the time so I know how you feel, also my mum has a foot condition.. planter something ( not going to attempt spelling 🤣🤣) she has an insole in her trainers and this solves the problem! Don't suffer it's pointless. Hope you feel better x

spaghettttiiii Mon 20-May-19 07:06:57

Oh wow! I was expecting to be told to get on with it, of course your feet will ache if you're on them all day!

OP’s posts: |
spaghettttiiii Mon 20-May-19 07:07:33

Thank you, I'm not on any medication.

OP’s posts: |
Vebrithien Mon 20-May-19 07:07:41

Try this. If it helps, it's probably plantar fascitis.
Stand backwards on a step. Shuffle your feet backwards until the heel and a good chunk of the arch is hanging over the step. Then push your heels down, so the arch is under tension and the heels are lower than the level of the step. Rise up, and repeat a couple of times. It should help a little immediately, and if repeated at least a couple of times a day, should help more and more over time.
Plantar fascia is often worse in the morning, and upon getting up from sitting. I had it awfully in my first year as a teacher. The stretches, anti-inflammatories, and good arch support insoles were needed to combat it. But you need to be seen by a doctor, mine referred me to a podiatrist where I was fitted for proper insoles.

loz1986 Mon 20-May-19 07:08:15

🤣 yeah well they should ache but they shouldn't be too painful to walk, that's obvz something else x

loz1986 Mon 20-May-19 07:09:45

Oh yeah my mum says she stretches has feet and points her toes 10 times before getting out of bed.. that helps loosen the feet up x

Thindragon Mon 20-May-19 07:11:02

could be capsulitis or other things. Don't do random exercises until you have checked out what the problem is. If there are any shoes that make it easier wear them - try to off load the feet until you get seen by a podiatrist.

madcatladyforever Mon 20-May-19 07:14:24

I'm a podiatrist I'm happy to give you some information. Where do your feet hurt? Are they flat or high arched and how old are you? All relevant I promise.

madcatladyforever Mon 20-May-19 07:15:23

You can message me if you want.

spaghettttiiii Mon 20-May-19 07:44:13

My heel is the worst and the ball type part below my big toe. I don't have a high arch or flat, just normal really. I'm 39 and no other medical issues or medication.

OP’s posts: |
ildaogden Mon 20-May-19 12:06:36

Voltarol gel rubbed into your feet is very helpful for the pain.

MattMagnolia Mon 20-May-19 18:04:09

I have arthritis in my feet plus swollen ankles. Last time I went to Dr and said I can’t walk he didn’t even look at my feet and said it was gravity!

spaghettttiiii Mon 20-May-19 19:13:00

See that's the kind of response I'm worried about.

OP’s posts: |
AbsoluteGonk Tue 21-May-19 09:57:21

I wouldn't take that shit from a GP.

If you have a lousy GP make an appointment with a podiatrist. It'll be money well spent.

Peridot1 Tue 21-May-19 10:02:05

Def go to the GP as a first port of call.

Then a podiatrist is the GP is not helpful.

madcatladyforever Tue 21-May-19 10:11:12

It does sound rather like plantar fasciitis spaghetti. The plantar fascia is a thick structure that runs all along the bottom of the foot and splits to go to all the toes so can be painful under the big toe too if it gets inflamed. It can be agonising. Have a look on arthritis UK plantar fasciitis site . You will find some stretches on there.
Make sure your shoes have a thick bouncy heel and lace up NO slip ons. Get some gel heel pads and keep feet up when sitting. Roll foot over can of cold coke from fridge three times a day to reduce inflammation and if you can take some ibuprofen. It's better to get a proper diagnosis though so ask your gp to refer you to the podiatry msk service for a proper assessment.

RockinHippy Tue 21-May-19 10:18:22

As well as the suggestions above, I'd highly recommend getting your B12 levels tested & reading up on the deficiency as painful feet can be a symptom of that too

MypetPorghasdied Tue 21-May-19 10:33:48

I started to get something similar when I was about 44 and Dr's thought it was Plantar Fasciitis but no amount of treatment helped and I walked about 5 miles a day. I tried shoe inserts, gel pads, massage, foot rollers, cold glass bottles - you name it I tried it.
Turn out that it was a perimenopausal symptom. It went it away as suddenly as it arrived. I suffered for about a year and then I got up one morning and it was gone literally overnight. It was quickly replaced by a different equally unpleasant peri symptom though so if you're over a certain age then perhaps it's that?

SophieJo Tue 21-May-19 19:50:23

I agree with those who suggest plantar fasciitis.You put your foot on the floor out of bed and wow, the pain.
It can be relieved with inserts in shoes. It came on gradually and went the same way.

Wolfiefan Tue 21-May-19 19:53:37

@loz1986 my feet hurt so much. Not sure how happy you are to share but any particular types of medication cause this? So far I’ve been told plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis and fibromyalgia. sad

spaghettttiiii Tue 21-May-19 23:32:23

I've ordered some gel insoles.

Interesting point about the menopause - I had blood tests for early menopause last year that were inconclusive, following other symptoms.

Also would be interesting to check blood levels.


OP’s posts: |
Haggisfish Tue 21-May-19 23:35:00

I would ask for vitamin d check too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in