Talk

Advanced search

How much diazepam before an MRI?

(12 Posts)
zzzz31 Sun 19-May-19 14:49:48

I have just failed to do an MRI and have had to be rebooked :-(

I've got some diazepam left over from last time I had an MRI but I can't remember how much to take, and whether one 2mg pill will be enough. It took the edge off last time maybe but that was in a massive wide-bore one... this one is a small one in a mobile unit. Any suggestions?

2mg one hour before? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
greenelephantscarf Sun 19-May-19 14:53:04

speak to the radiologist
they should be able to advise

zzzz31 Sun 19-May-19 14:58:49

Unfortunately they said they were not able to advise me as they are not allowed to do so as the drug must be prescribed by a GP (as it was originally but can't remember the details!). I think I'll go for 2 mg about an hour before.

Thank you for your reply!

OP’s posts: |
SauvignonBlanche Sun 19-May-19 15:04:06

I’m claustrophobic and had a brain tumour which involved ots of MRI scans.
My GP prescribed 5mg for me before one once, will you need to drive after it though?

AlunWynsKnee Sun 19-May-19 15:07:04

I usually have a 2mg tablet for MRIs and keep my eyes shut the whole time. Have had the mobile and static locations.

Debenhamshandtowel Sun 19-May-19 15:09:16

I think it depends. I take half a 2mg and it takes the edge off for me. I think with 5 mg I’d be asleep. Do you have someone to get you home?

ChippyMinton Sun 19-May-19 15:15:17

No idea but DH was prescribed some to take before an MRI at a private setting because he had such bad claustrophobia in the local NHS one. I drove him there, had a pub lunch on the way home and he can’t remember anything about the day! He took a tablet before we left and another about 30 minutes before the scan, and appeared lucid the
whole time but clearly wasn’t.
Do you have someone to go with you?

Thymeout Sun 19-May-19 15:17:08

2 mg works for me. If you're still antsy, you can always take another one. My GP prescribed me 10 x 2mg to get me through a lengthy suspected cancer diagnostic process. One was enough to get me from not being able to eat anything except a banana and a choc flake for 2 days to steak and chips. I used them for scans, appointments, a biopsy and the day of surgery. Still had one left which we pass around the family like the holy grail. Never had any probs driving. Anxiety seems to affect my stomach more than my brain.

Snufflepiglet Sun 19-May-19 15:34:22

I haven't had an MRI before but have had diazepam. 2mg wouldn't do anything to me and would probably need two. I'm massive though so probably why! 🤣 I'd go for about 45 mins to an hour before. Good luck x

StillNotMe Sun 19-May-19 19:26:05

Call your GP and ask. Surely they will know better than MN?

Lauren83 Sun 19-May-19 19:30:40

I have 2mg when I have one

chocsaregone Sun 19-May-19 19:37:02

Call the surgery and request a quick phone call from the duty doctor?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »