Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS upset with constipation - suggestions please!

(12 Posts)
jaz2 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:09:44

My DS (8mo) has recently been really suffering. He spends a couple of days straining like mad and producing (virtually) nothing, then a day or two of straining and producing rather solid (and very unpleasant smelling) poos, such that he have to change his nappy every 15 mins. He gets really upset with it all . I could go into more detail about the problem but people may be reading this at suppertime!

I am trying to give him 5ml diluted prune juice twice a day via a syringe (he doesn't drink anything except milk - which I haven't changed), but although I haven't been doing this as regularly as I should, it doesn't seem to be having an effect. He has been weaned for 6 weeks, and loves his fruit puree - which is mainly homemade.

Please does anyone have any suggestions?

Scootergrrrl Thu 19-Jul-07 19:10:33

Kiwi is supposed to be good for that kind of problem

jaz2 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:11:56

Thanks...is it ok to give to an 8mo, and do you just puree the whole thing, excluding skin but including seeds?

Rantmum Thu 19-Jul-07 19:18:03

I took constipated ds to the gp when he was a baby and they gave him a very low dose prescription for a lactulose solution - don't just buy it, though - definitely speak to the gp first.

Also any kind of fruit and veg will help, so really up the amount of apples, pears and any other types of fruit and veg that you give him for a couple of days.

pinkteddy Thu 19-Jul-07 19:18:33

Try pears. Always worked a treat for my dd. Easy to puree too once you have peeled. HTH

Seona1973 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:19:12

I've never heard of kiwi being used but be wary as they can be allergenic.

You could try mashing a couple of prunes into his breakfast cereal and also try and offer a bit more fluids especially at mealtimes. Have you tried leaving a lidded (preferably freeflowing e.g. tommee tippee first cup) beaker of water on the highchair and letting him try to use it himself? My ds has used his independantly since 6 months.

Sparkletastic Thu 19-Jul-07 19:21:36

Lactulose worked well for mine at that age - again with doc's advice on dosage. Easy to mix into milk.

Seona1973 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:23:41

Babycentre suggests prunes too:

For an older baby who is on solids, ask your health visitor about adding a few tablespoons of pureed prunes to your baby's morning cereal, or giving him two teaspoons of prune juice.

Some experts recommend adding a teaspoon of bran to your baby's cereal, to add fibre, although take care to not overdo this. Try to give your baby fruits and vegetables (in small bits, of course) so he gets adequate fibre, and plenty of drinks, including plain water.

These remedies may also offer baby some relief:

• Try bicycling your baby's legs if he seems constipated. This may help move stool matter along his intestine.

• If he's eating solids, cut down on constipating foods, such as rice, bananas, or cereal.

RubySlippers Thu 19-Jul-07 19:24:34

apricots have a very laxative result with my DS
get dried one and offer whole to nibble on, or cook and then puree
give first thing in the morning

jaz2 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:35:23

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My GP said I should up the liquids (he didn't suggest lactulose), but it's easier said than done with an unwilling baby. We are using NUK beakers - if I leave them with him though he just chews the spout or sprays the surrounding area, he doesn't actually drink anything! Even when I help hime he only takes a few sips.

Hmm, sounds like I should cut out baby rice for breakfast (which he currently has with fruit puree)?

Apricots: I'll try them, so far have only given them in a mix of apple and pear puree. I guess I could try them with bananas (which he hates on their own).

I'm really surprised he has the problem as he loves his blueberries / apple / pear / strawberry/peach purees. Trouble is he doesn't each much full stop as his weaning has been constantly hindered by illnesses picked up at nursery.

Scootergrrrl Sun 22-Jul-07 11:56:17

Try making icelollies out of very weak juice - they're a good way to get liquids into the stroppiest of babies!

amidaiwish Sun 22-Jul-07 12:17:38

if you're desperate glycerol suppositories are really excellent. they dissolve the poo so they come out softer, hurt less etc.

stop bananas, yoghurt and cut down on the baby rice
do give pureed fruit as much as poss
can he have weetabix or similar for breakfast yet?
try a fruit puree made of pureed apple, prune and apricot. sometimes i mixed this into custard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now