Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

quick! how do i know i need stitches

(27 Posts)
francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 18:51:21

for a bad cut on my finger?

expatinscotland Thu 19-Jul-07 18:52:15

all the times i needed stitches, the cut just would NOT stop bleeding, despite pressure, putting it up, etc.

TheMaskedPoster Thu 19-Jul-07 18:52:19

ask lulumama!!

(sorry, I don't know...)

NorbertStanleyFletcher Thu 19-Jul-07 18:52:21

What did you cut it with?

munchie Thu 19-Jul-07 18:53:42

Is it a deep cut? How long has it been bleeding for? Maybe better safe than sorry.

SpacePuppy Thu 19-Jul-07 18:58:20

It is sometimes worse to have stitches in your fingers than to just tape it up. Unless you can see tendons etc.

throckenholt Thu 19-Jul-07 18:59:48

can you get to a chemist ? You can get steri strips (I think they are called) that you put at right angles to the cut to hold it together - and then cover with a dressing. That is pretty much what they do at A&E - sometimes they use some glue as well.

Carnoodleusfudge Thu 19-Jul-07 19:01:41

Make sure the wound is really really clean.

Super glue back together by pressing the two bits of skin together - ie don't put glue in the wound but along the skin.

CalifrauniusFudge Thu 19-Jul-07 19:04:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 19:05:59

steri strips sound good. don't know if there's any cheminst open around. I cut it with glass, nothing mjor, but dh seems woried, which is out of character

Carnoodleusfudge Thu 19-Jul-07 19:06:45

The nurse in A & E on Sunday told us we could have glued DS back together ourselves

lulumama Thu 19-Jul-07 20:04:42

thanks TMP!!

i cut my finger very , very deeply..to the point, i actually went a bit faint and sickly....no time to go to a&E, so put loads of plasters on it, and got DH to pick up some steri strips on the way home, it healed very quickly....blardy painful though! it was so deep it didn;t gush, it sort of oozed all day....

Rach35 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:07:35

I did this recently with a knife and had stitches (7 - and I felt very brave!) They gave me paracetamol for the pain which I didn't dare take - if you can clean it with some antiseptic stuff before steri strips I think this will help?

francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 20:20:00

, you are all very brave... I went to the walk in centre and they dressed it, told me to go back in two days to have the dressing done again.

francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 20:20:53

I felt fainty and sickly too lulumama, but yours sounds worse than mine...

Rach35 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:21:40

not brave - went very white afterwards (!?) and rewarded myself with a BigMac meal....... (it was late, my finger hurt.....!)

expatinscotland Thu 19-Jul-07 20:32:56

Why wouldn't you take paracetamol for pain? It's safe even during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

lulumama Thu 19-Jul-07 20:34:02

poor you franca

i cut the base of my thumb, where it joins the palm, with the edge of a tin [faint}

francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 20:54:04

argh lulumama! I cut my middle finger. I broke the handle of a glass jug, was throwing away the remaining "body" of said jug while explaining ds what had happened when it sort of exploded in my hand and cut the finger... btw I was really impressed by the walk in centre, very efficient.
rach, 7 stitches, quite impressive: I'd have had a whopper

southeastastra Thu 19-Jul-07 20:55:40

ooh how's it now franca? i hate cuts on the hands they ache for days

francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 20:59:02

it's throbbing (is it the right word?). I once cut my index finger, and it felt numb for months. how are you sea?

southeastastra Thu 19-Jul-07 21:04:00

yes throbbing ouch. i'm always getting paper cuts.

i'm ok but have had a four day headache since we're in health

francagoestohollywood Thu 19-Jul-07 21:51:17

! 4 days of headache, that's awful sea

CalifrauniusFudge Thu 19-Jul-07 23:35:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

francagoestohollywood Fri 20-Jul-07 09:43:41

ciao cali. it's a pain. I can't get it wet, and it was quite tricky to wash myself this mornng. Have to wash my hair tonight... dh suggested to wrap it in a plastic bag .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: