Talk

Advanced search

Irritable bowel syndrome flare - what might help?

(10 Posts)
SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 17-May-19 16:14:41

I had to have a colonoscopy last Friday, which meant having to take laxatives the day before (picolax - two doses).

Unfortunately it seems as if the picolax has set off a really bald flare-up of my irritable bowel syndrome - to be frank, it is no longer irritable - it is absolutely furious!

Apologies if this is TMI, but I have had the runs since Thursday, with cramps, bloating and discomfort. I have been taking high potency pro-biotics, and hoping that things would settle down, but there is no sign of that happening, and it is making my life a misery.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things that might help settle down this flare? Please!!

CostanzaG Fri 17-May-19 16:16:46

Peppermint tea really helps me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Fairylea Fri 17-May-19 16:18:16

If you’re sure you don’t have an actual tummy bug I’d take some Imodium plus to calm it down. I used to do this when my ibs was super awful. Or some codeine - cocodamol from the pharmacy would do it. It calms the gut and should help to slow things down.

Sillyshell Fri 17-May-19 16:18:36

Have you tried buscopan, think that's how it's spelt! Really helps with the cramping pain or peppermint tea is good. I take peppermint tablets every day after breakfast and have really noticed a difference in the flare ups smile

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 17-May-19 16:39:06

Thank you all - I will give these a go.

Kilash Fri 17-May-19 19:03:46

Lots of kefir to try and restore bacterial balance?

crosser62 Fri 17-May-19 19:09:27

Buscopan, it’s like magic and available over the counter everywhere

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 17-May-19 19:11:10

Imodium and just clear fluids until it stops.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 17-May-19 20:40:41

I saw the consultant today, for the follow up after the colonoscopy, and apparently I have lymphocytic colitis - which may have been caused by omeprazole, which I take when my ADs give me heartburn, so I’ve got to change that, and if that doesn’t help, 6 weeks of steroids.

I’ve ordered buscopan and Imodium on the supermarket delivery tomorrow.

Thank you to you all for taking the time to help. thanks

Nat6999 Fri 17-May-19 20:47:24

Anything with codeine in in used to calm down my IBS, the only thing that finally cured it was divorcing my husband, never had another attack after leaving him, may have been a coincidence.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »