Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Oh yuck yuck yuck I've got nits!

(19 Posts)
FlossALump Thu 19-Jul-07 13:11:51

I've had an itchy head for past 10 days. Have looked, got DP to look and nothing. Thought it was just a 'pg thing'. This morning washing my hair I found a very much louse looking creature. Went out and brought a comb and found another. Now have to go back out again for treatment! Have no idea where I have caught it from, DS dosen't seem to have (from combing), and no particularly 'obvious' patients recently. Ewwwwww.

FoeGlassSlipper Thu 19-Jul-07 13:14:14

Yuk.

Some children at DDs pre-school have had it. I am terribly phobic of nits, fleas etc so have been checking like mad. Even bought tea tree oil shampoo as I heard they dont like it. My head has been itching lots but DH cant see anything and now I think it is a reaction to the new shampoo

EllieG Thu 19-Jul-07 13:14:37

I entirely sympathise! I caught them from DSD and I wanted to shave my entire head off. Felt very horrid.
Hedrin is good btw as no nasty chemicals.

slinkyjo Thu 19-Jul-07 13:16:13

lol ive had the same thing found three in my hair lastnight ewww checked my dd hair not a single crawler but eggs they fucking gone on to me, the problem is i know where they have come from and my dd plays with her everyday i dont know if i should say something to her mum as the past 2 times my dd has had nits they have come from her, my dd never had this problem before either, its doing my head in

Biglips Thu 19-Jul-07 13:16:20

oh no!...its crap when ya get them!

You poss need to check everyone's head just to make sure.

meandmy Thu 19-Jul-07 13:16:27

yep they dont like tea tree when we were small mo used vinegar we smelt like it forever im itching now!

IntergalacticWalrus Thu 19-Jul-07 13:16:40

oh no floss!

BBBBasilisk Thu 19-Jul-07 13:18:47

haha - don't worry - it only happens to truely wonderful people.

FlossALump Thu 19-Jul-07 13:19:04

If I get the treatment how long until I am nit free? DP says we should all get treated so will talk to pharmacist. How bloomin embarrassing though! I had to build up the guts just to buy the comb this morning. Its like buying condoms as a teen again.

fedupwasherwoman Thu 19-Jul-07 13:25:01

If you have time you could do what I did and slather your hair with conditioner each evening for a few days, sit in front of the telly and comb, comb, comb checking each time for anything egg like and cracking it between your fingernails to make sure it is history. Hair looked gorgeous too due to all the conditioner.

The wonderful feeling when you eventually comb through one evening and don't find a single egg is marvellous.

(I was too impatient to wait 7 days and re-treat with lyclear or whatever I wanted rid of the little parasites a.s.a.p.)

BBBBasilisk Thu 19-Jul-07 13:25:12

get a nitty gritty comb - they get the eggs out as well.

If we get nits (only happened twice) I wash hair and pile of loads of leave inconditioner and sit them in fron of the telly and comb through with the nitty gritty every other night until nothing comes out (only did it twice last time and they went for good).

It is quite nice to do really - oddly satifying.

the pharmacy won't care either way - but I do a quick check comb through the m=night before I go to the hairdresser!

fedupwasherwoman Thu 19-Jul-07 13:26:00

snap BBBB

FlossALump Thu 19-Jul-07 13:28:54

I could do both couldn't i? As long as the stuff is ok to use on me atm as pg. Will talk to pharmacist (we all know how over cautious they tend to be) and if not able to get anything will visit GP tomorrow and do your advice tonight! Just want rid.

FlossALump Thu 19-Jul-07 15:43:19

Well I have a very expensive bottle of hedrin which is suitable for us all to use! Apparently coats the buggers in silicone so they can't breathe and die...

BBBBasilisk Thu 19-Jul-07 16:27:38

nice!

get combing
get rid
and forget about it

(until next time...)

suezee Thu 19-Jul-07 16:34:59

had to go and buy hedrin yesterday as dd was scratching like mad......then i found 1 in my head and to top it all off ive got an appointment at the hairdressers on saturday so i hope there is no trace of them when shes doing my hair

FlossALump Thu 19-Jul-07 16:38:03

I was wondering actually if a home dye kit would work to help kill them off too... Might get some to use next week as my roots are a horror atm...

Hope you pass the hairdresser test suezee!

I think I might have worked out where they come from which makes having them even worse...

CarGirl Thu 19-Jul-07 16:40:34

I've got them, I'm really allergic to them so I have bite marks all over my neck, I have lots and lots and lots of thick long hair. I killed them and combed out with nitty gritty and only got 4 lice out!!! I am just going to kill them all in 7 days again and keep going until I get nothing out.

Dh won't help with the combing as he doesn't know how to do it grrrrr

FlossALump Thu 19-Jul-07 18:57:24

I've so far found 4 too which are real live nits. I've got quite long thick hair too. DS has the hedrin on. DP be home soon so hoping I'll do his and he does mine!! He's much better at dealing with these things than me. If he'd found them on his head I'd have freaked!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: