Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dyspraxia....can it affect speech?

(13 Posts)
lulumama Thu 19-Jul-07 12:48:13

DH has it in his head , that DD is dyspraxic, I thought it was to do with balance and co-ordination, but DH tells me he has met a couple of child pyschologists who have told him it can affect speech....? is this so?

Can anyone tell me more..

She is 2, and not speaking an awful lot...

We have just found out DS is dyslexic, and I think DH is worried and is googling too ! which doesn;t help

Peachy Thu 19-Jul-07 12:50:28

yes, there's a lovely little girl at DS3's nursery who is dyspraxic with speech issues.

Lulu, just a thought but iirc you're into the holistic sort of side aren't you? have a look at www.bibic.org.uk, our 2 sn kids go, and a friend takes their dyslexic son there.

lulumama Thu 19-Jul-07 12:51:45

oh right...thanks peachy, yes, i am that way inclined , will look at that.

I now owe DH an apology

dustystar Thu 19-Jul-07 12:52:19

Yep it can definitely affect speech. A boy I used to childmind didn't speak at all when he was two. He is 7 now and has had loads of SALT input and his speech is fine if a little stilted.

chocolateteapot Thu 19-Jul-07 12:53:34

Yes it can. There is Verbal dyspraxia where generally only the speech is affected and the rest of the motor skills are usually OK. But you can find speech difficulties with children who have the type of dyspraxia usually associated with co-ordination etc. I think it is because they have difficulty co-ordinating the movement of their tongue properly.

My DD is 8 and has had to have SALT. She didn't have it until recently as she made improvements when younger but couldn't quite get the last few sounds. When she had a course of physio when she was about 5, the physio got her to try to move her tongue up and down and side to side, I was quite shocked to see how she could hardly move it. She also struggle with eating lumps when she was little which I guess is related to some extent.

Her vocab was always fairly good when she was younger but she was difficult to understand due to the way she pronounced her words.

dustystar Thu 19-Jul-07 12:54:43

Waves at chocolateteapot

lulumama Thu 19-Jul-07 12:57:55

ok

interesting

DD crawled at 11 months, walked at 16 months, seems to be co-ordinated, very 'in tune' with her body, if you know what i mean..when DS goes to gymnastics, she hangs off the barre, and tucks her legs up, and swings, tries to do headstands, rolls, and runs, and bounces.....so don;t think there is a problem there

lumpy food not a problem , but she does not eat a lot, never has

speech wise, she is not really putting words together, says 'all gone', but not really any other phrases..seems to be learning new words, but often just points, and makes a sound, repeats words quite well....

she has her 2 yr assessment next month, so will mention to the HV

thanks x

Peachy Thu 19-Jul-07 13:02:34

Do that Lulu, she's probably fine tbh, just a bit late.

have you thought about giving her EFA supplements? I know it sounds silly but BIBIC are very big on them and swear it helps a lot. We also have to so a routine with ds3, its more comlex for him but there are spech parts- spraying the inside of his mouth with cold water (very fine jet so no choking hazard), and massaging the mouth externally with a vibrating amssager to improve sensory response. the other one we do incolces placing a tiny (on the handle of a teaspoon rather than te bowl) taste of something strong (eg mustard, lemon, treacle) in his mouth twice day because that amkes him use his tongue to push the taste around and strengthens muscles.

lulumama Thu 19-Jul-07 13:05:19

ok, will go to chemist and get those...

i'm pretty sure she is just a late talker, but DH was quite concerned, i think the dyslexia issue with DS has made him quite sensitive to this

dustystar Thu 19-Jul-07 13:08:58

My mindee didn't say any words at two. I had him from about a year old and he didn't even babble just screeched. By 3 he said less than 10 recognisable words. I think if your dd is actaully saying words now then you are probably right and she is just a late talker. My nephew didn't really talk at all until he was 2 1/2- the HV was worried but he was fine and once he started talking he never stopped

BecklePhoenixBird Thu 19-Jul-07 13:15:02

Dyspraxia can affect speech, my friends DS does not really have any obvious co-ordination problems but her SN adviser thinks that he may have it and that is what is affecting his speech (although he is also autistic, don't know if that has anything to do with it).

However, my DS1 did not really say anything as a baby, the odd word but not before about 18 months and then he was 2.5 before he could string a couple together and nearly 3 before he talked properly in sentences. DS2 however could do conversations at 18 months. I think children just develop at different rates and I would not worry too much, DD sounds like a healthy, happy and active little girl - what else matters?

Peachy Thu 19-Jul-07 14:15:09

Beckle dyspraxia and ASD ar on the same spectrum- I owuld hazard a guess that the ASD probably is cusing it, although I ahve heard of a dyspraxia and ASD diagnosis, they're quite rare I think- esp. as language difficulties are aprt fo the Austism (as opposed Asperger) definition.

My ds1 has HFA (high functioning autism), he has SPD which is a language disoprder but unless you were an expert you couln'd tell- indeed he has a non-SPD language age of 16 -21 (he is 75). However, ds3 has a severe language probelm query asd, he lost what speech he did have and didn't talk again until 6 months ago (still extremely poor)

jimmyjamas Sat 21-Jul-07 18:30:47

my DS will be two next month and only says a handful of words. Are children supposed to be stringing sentences together by the time they turn 2? I have no idea.

He says about 10 recognisable words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now