Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OMFG! What's that rank stench. How can anyone smell like this?

(19 Posts)
DogBreathDH Wed 18-Jul-07 20:12:44

My DH's breath smells like a stinking old pig sty full of rotting shit. How can anyone's breath smell this bad? Is it a condition or something? It actually wakes me up at night. He reeks.

I'm not exagerating. It's utterly repugnant. What could it be? Why so rank? Who should he go and see about it?

PenelopePitstops Wed 18-Jul-07 20:13:38

dentist or doctor

may be an undelying reason for it

blahblahblahniks Wed 18-Jul-07 20:15:26

Does he eat a lot of meat? It sounds like he's not digesting food properly if it smells like crap. It could be his dinner fermenting in his stomach. Does he gobble his food down like the dog?

I'm assuming he has no dental hygiene problems too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halitosis

Poor you

Patronuscharm Wed 18-Jul-07 20:16:28

Dentist pronto - could be gum disease.

jangly Wed 18-Jul-07 20:17:10

Hygienist at the dentist's. Could his teeth need a good scraping out under the gums?

DogBreathDH Wed 18-Jul-07 20:31:11

He has been eating a fair bit of meat recently. It's truly horrible. He is a bit of a dirty beast when it comes to teeth cleaning, but I thought he'd been making more effort lately.

It's so strong. It really doesn't smell like ordinary breath. Really bad.

noonar Wed 18-Jul-07 20:32:45

has he always been like this?

DogBreathDH Wed 18-Jul-07 20:33:52

No. But for many years he has had a bad smell, but sortable with brushing. The smell now is so bad, way worse than before.

chevre Wed 18-Jul-07 20:34:17

flossing flossing flossing and a trip the dentist occasionally. personally i would leave him

Mercy Wed 18-Jul-07 20:35:56

Infected sinuses I reckon.

DogBreathDH Wed 18-Jul-07 20:36:49

Mercy his sinuses are bad at the moment. Does that make breath bad then?

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 20:37:46

Is he constipated? I know that Wiki link said that stomach problems aren't often the cause of halitosis, but when dh is bunged up his breath stinks.

KerryMumbledore Wed 18-Jul-07 20:41:07

I would strongly suggest a digestive enzyme (ask at local health food store) if he is eating a lot of meet!

Also a probiotic.

I know this will gross him out but I would urge an enema to cleanse his system. Barring that you can get a detox formula from health food store again. Flor Essence is good and mild.

If you don't have access to digestive enzymes, pineapple and papaya will help.

And yes, dental checkup as well.

I also hate to say this and may be in left field but ds2 had the most noxious breath for a while. It literally smelt like shit.

Turns out he had threadworms. Treated them and the smell went away.

Mercy Wed 18-Jul-07 20:45:43

Dogbreath - if they are infected then yes!!

It happened to me once, but I was aware of it myself. Was prescribed anti-biotics and was fine in less than 48 hours.

Get him to the GP pronto!

DogBreathDH Wed 18-Jul-07 21:11:52

No not constipated.

Is the infected smell you're talking about more like bogey mixed with rotten pears Mercy? Cos this is distinctly rotten and pooey.

Mercy Wed 18-Jul-07 21:18:17

Erm, I don't know

I had some yellow/green snot, a lack of sense of smell and to some extent, taste. But I could smell something unpleasant myself when just breathing normally, if that makes sense.

But no cold or sore throat or toothache.

GP!

mazzystar Wed 18-Jul-07 21:19:55

make him drink more water. a lot more water

Desiderata Wed 18-Jul-07 21:22:49

Yes, bad breath that bad comes from the stomach. He is not digesting his food properly, and it's an indicator of bigger troubles ahead.

He needs to masticate his meat, (also eat less of it), and drink plenty of water.

As he's a bloke, he probably won't listen to this well meant health advice. Just tell him that his breath fucking stinks and that it makes you feel sick ... and tell him that his work colleagues can obviously smell it too.

DogBreathDH Wed 18-Jul-07 21:33:07

Thanks Des. I'll go along with that. He does indeed bolt back his food like a dog and he's been eating loads of meat lately. Sexy huh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now