Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

will +6,5 and +7.5 lenses need to be thinned?

(8 Posts)
MadEyeMisdee Wed 18-Jul-07 17:28:36

dd3 perscription has been increased from +5 and+5.5, i think her current ones are thinned slightly but she currently have big toddler frames. she will now be moving into the junior ranges.

trying to figure how long new specs will take.

Blandmum Wed 18-Jul-07 17:33:05

I'm -9.5 in each eye (!) and mine can take around 10 days to pitch up, because they can't be made in the shop.

DD is around -3.5/ -4.0 and hers are done within the hour. as yet she just has the normal ones, not the specially thin ones. Have a word with your optitian.

You shouldn't have to pay anything eithrr, we don't and they even give dd replacements

Hulababy Wed 18-Jul-07 17:35:26

Will depend on her frames and how well normal lenses will fit in generally.

MadEyeMisdee Wed 18-Jul-07 17:40:38

most of the frames we have looked at do appear 'thinner' so expect they may need to be thinned. current optician has to sends hers away anyway and can take upto 3 weeks.

wonder if we can wangle some sun glasses/tints for her as sun is bothering her.

Blandmum Wed 18-Jul-07 17:49:59

my fabbo optitian told me to 'lose' a pair. They would replace them and then when I 'found' the old ones I could pay to have them tinted.

I was too honest and forked out the dosh!

MadEyeMisdee Wed 18-Jul-07 17:50:53

lol. her opticians has her down for two free [pairs at a time anyway as she went through a stage of burying them in the sand pit.

LittleLupin Wed 18-Jul-07 17:51:09

MB! You're more squinty than me! I'm -7 ish in each eye, and have those ultra thin ones. Don't know about longsighted, sorry.

shish Wed 18-Jul-07 18:54:03

Hi I'm an optician. You could ask the optician who is making your dd's glasses to use the smallest possible blank size and you could also opt for aspheric lenses, although these will cost you a little extra. If these two things are done, then you shouldn't really need to go for higher index with this sort of prescription. Let me know what they say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now