Talk

Advanced search

Advice on dealing with pre-osteoporosis

(7 Posts)
iwantavuvezela Fri 10-May-19 12:34:21

A recent bone scan showed that i am on the verge of osteopeoporosis - or bordeline - I should start to take a calcium and Vitamin D supplement - does anyone have a good one that they can recommend and what dosage?
I have been told to exercise (I am busy doing yoga 3x a week - but will need to also do some more strengthening exercise)

I would really value anyone's suggestions of what they have done - naturally - as i want to make sure that this does not progress, and it seems from my initial reading - that it can be halted.

Any advice much appreciated

OP’s posts: |
Thiswayorthatway Fri 10-May-19 16:04:47

In a similar position. Consultant recommended Calcichew D3 forte.

VisiblyOver25 Fri 10-May-19 16:20:06

I had a bone scan and have been asked to see the GP about the results. So am watching with interest.

OneHanded Sun 12-May-19 03:29:00

Speak with your gp as if you’re pre they should pop you on calcichew and vit d which means it’ll be worth getting a prepayment certificate if you've not already got one ☺️ It’s nothing to worry about although I appreciate it’s easier said than done! I went from borderline to osteoporotic over a couple years because I’m terrible at routine and taking medication so it can make a difference but equally I know others in the same situation who have reversed by doing it properly 🙈

iwantavuvezela Mon 13-May-19 10:31:23

Thanks Thiswayorthatway and onehanded will look into the calcichew D3 Forte - my GP is leaving me some information to read through - as my results were -2.5 (I think) which is on the cusp - i can take two other options - which is HRT (which i dont want to do as am now finished menopause) - or some other medication that you need to take for 5 years (but can cuase irritatin to your stomach) -
I think i want to focus on the extra vit D and calcium - up my strenght training, go easy on the wine - and see if i can do it that way.

visiblyover 25 when you get your results, come back to this thread, and we can always speak about what we are doing!

OP’s posts: |
OneHanded Mon 13-May-19 13:26:25

Understandable on your decision for HRT! Because I was 17 when diagnosed it’s never been an option despite being infertile anyway but don’t much fancy it anyway. Any new diagnosis can be a difficult thing to process, but I find it helps to remember that you had it anyway it’s just got a name now! Wish you all the best with treatment and happy to answer anything else flowers

wiggywog Tue 14-May-19 17:02:03

How old are you op
I'm 49 and went through early menopause (42) and I have osteopenia though not as bad as you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »