Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hand, foot and mouth disease - can the spots be in other places too?

(11 Posts)
Sari Wed 18-Jul-07 14:13:39

Dd was off her food and had a temperature a couple of days ago, then developed blister-type spots in her mouth,on her hands and feet and all over her bottom. I assumed she had hand, foot and mouth disease. Now, however, even though she is feeling a lot better and bouncing around most of the time, she has lots of spots on her legs. Does anyone have any experience of hand, foot and mouth disease with spots on legs too? Or is it something else? I'd be grateful for your experiences because if she's fine she's meant to be going to nursery tomorrow (they don't exclude for hand, foot and mouth) but if she has spots in other places I imagine they will have wanted her to see a doctor.

Thanks.

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 14:21:03

The spots can sometimes appear on the bottom, legs and genitals - so there's every chance that it's hand, foot and mouth.

northender Wed 18-Jul-07 14:24:35

Sounds just like dd when she had it, seem to remember that spots don't appear on arms for some reason. Am surprised nursery don't exclude for it as it's very contagious to begin with.

madamez Wed 18-Jul-07 14:28:42

My DS had the spots all over his legs as well. HFM is contagious but pretty harmless - though it's a major PITA if you get it. And don't believe the hype that adults don't get it, becasue DS passed it on to me).

Sari Wed 18-Jul-07 14:29:06

Thank you, it sounds like it is that then.

I was amazed as well that they don't exclude for it. Even the nursery manager sounded surprised when she checked the environmental health guidelines. Hardly surprising dd got it in the first place really!

TenaLady Wed 18-Jul-07 14:29:58

Can sometimes be mistaken for chicken pox too as it looks quite similar.

Sari Wed 18-Jul-07 14:30:15

Well, I've got a sore throat ...

Bubbaloo Wed 18-Jul-07 15:05:50

I think my ds1 has it at the mo.He was really miserable yesterday and after noticing about 8 ulcers in his mouth,took him to our gp this morning.He has a temperature of 38 and the doc thinks it's either the start of chicken pox or HF&M.Have been told to give him Calpol and Neurofen and need to take him back on Friday.
He has just a few very tiny spots and they're on his legs.Also noticed a few small spots in the nappy area this morning too,although they're hardly noticeable.

lallooooooo Sun 22-Jul-07 22:09:44

I think dd has had this this week - a couple of small spots on hands and feet, quite a few on her bottom and REALLY horrid mouth ulcers. She started last weekend with bum spots and a massive blister on her lip and now she has 2 really nasty ones on her tongue. Bit of a temperature, snotty nose and a cough. Has to get better soon - we are getting married next Saturday!
LL xx

Millarkie Sun 22-Jul-07 22:22:04

Yes, they can get the spots all the way up their legs and on their arms, but tends not to be above nappy area on torso (so back and chest clear).
Our nursery excluded for h,f and m. It's very contagious (my GP said it was very likely I would catch it and implied that I would almost certainly miscarry the baby I was carrying (I was 8 weeks pg)) - I didn't catch it though...but I would feel wary about knowingly exposing other children and their families to it!

lallooooooo Sun 22-Jul-07 22:23:56

Good point - maybe I should keep dd home tomorrow. She did pick it up there mind you. B*gger - so much to do for wedding I was rather hoping for a day to myself for panic buying. Not fair on pg mums though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now