Talk

Advanced search

Gallbladder removal following acute pancreatitis

(4 Posts)
mwnca Fri 10-May-19 07:03:24

Just had three days in hospital for acute pancreatitis. They found gallstones and said I'll need my gallbladder out in six weeks. I'm 13 weeks postpartum and kicking myself for having allowed myself to start eating so unhealthily when I used to follow a healthy vegan diet. My question is: do you think I could avoid having the op by following a low fat diet? Gallstones can go away, right?

OP’s posts: |
ProperVexed Fri 10-May-19 18:27:13

I was on a low fat diet when I got pancreatitis caused by gallstones! I stayed low fat, then could only eat a bit of porridge made with water whilst waiting for the operation to remove gallstones. So low fat didn't work for me!

Aquamarine1029 Fri 10-May-19 18:29:21

Gallstones never go away and this will not get better, in fact it will only get worse. Quite often, your diet has nothing to do with it, you are simply prone to making stones. Get it removed now. Trust me, it's for the best.

RonSwansonsMustacheComb Fri 10-May-19 18:34:37

My husband had the exact same, as a healthy 25 year old. He's had a few bouts of acute pancreatitis since and developed type 1 diabetes as a result of his initial illness and surgeries. None were avoidable by a change of diet unfortunately.

Have your surgery, rest up, and ask for as much help and support with your new baby as you can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »