Talk

Advanced search

Tension pain in jaw

(7 Posts)
hugoagogo Wed 08-May-19 20:32:00

I have been getting pain in my jaw that travels down to my shoulder and arm.
I am under a ton of stress, (I am on a waiting list for counselling) but other than wine what can I do or take for it?

OP’s posts: |
RiveterRosie Wed 08-May-19 21:11:52

My dentist told me just this morning that the pains that I have in my jaw, which I thought was due to my teeth, are due to tension. He is making me a mouth guard which he said I should wear in the evenings at home while watching tv etc, that I should gently massage my jaw, espectially the hinge part, and that I should go see my doctor and tell him that I am coming after being recommended by my dentist to see if there is any medication he can prescribe.

These probably won't be particularly helpful to your circumstances, but I thought I'd share with you. I'm going to book a facial massage and ask the beautician if she can pay particular attention to the lower part of my face.

ReleaseTheBats Wed 08-May-19 21:17:43

I don't want to alarm you OP but shoulder and arm pain can be a sign of heart problems, as can jaw pain, particularly in women.

hugoagogo Wed 08-May-19 21:52:07

Well, that is a bit concerning, but in my circumstances I think it's much more likely to be tension than a heart problems.

OP’s posts: |
ReleaseTheBats Wed 08-May-19 22:23:45

Probably so, but it might be worth getting a medical opinion.

Runkle Wed 08-May-19 22:26:17

Have a Google of TMJ exercises, hope you feel better soon.

SherlocksDeerstalker Wed 08-May-19 22:37:35

I get the same. As per RR’s recommendation above, see a dentist to have a night guard fitted. It’s helps me massively. I also see a chiropractor (a bit woo I know...) and the massage and tension release there really helps me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »