Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

breastmilk appears suddenly - youngest dc is almost 4!

(13 Posts)
sauce Wed 18-Jul-07 09:10:40

My dc have been very ill recently (4 and 7 yrs)& I've been noticing a tingling in my breasts for a few days. Last night I felt an enormous urge to breastfeed & when I examined my boobs, milk began to actually flow! wtf is going on? Anyone know?

Are you pregnant??

sauce Wed 18-Jul-07 09:14:17

I can't be! I had my tubes tied last year!

I know this sounds crazy but might be worth doing a test just in case. My milk came in very early on in my subsequent pregnancies i.e. at 5 weeks.

sauce Wed 18-Jul-07 09:17:53

Arrrrghhh!

sauce Wed 18-Jul-07 09:18:39

I'm 44 yrs old!

MoreTeaVicar Wed 18-Jul-07 09:54:22

But what a gift if you are! Seriously though, I hope you are ok whatever the outcome.

AmeliePoulain Wed 18-Jul-07 10:00:34

You need to do a test pet.

HomeintheSun Wed 18-Jul-07 10:08:33

Hi, I had a look on the internet under non pregnant lactating woman and there was a woman on a problem web site there who had the same problem, there was an answer from a woman who had the same problem, her Dr said it could be caused by stress and hormone changes, this could be the same for you as you said you dc had been very ill, this could be the cause but I nip to the Dr as this is obviously a worry for you.
Take care.

debbiewebweb Wed 18-Jul-07 12:22:36

~My best friend still has milk flow and she stopped breast feeding 2 years ago!! Her dr says its quite common and nothing to worry about, but he did check her over and she's fine. Dr said it continues for some women for 18 years

sauce Wed 18-Jul-07 14:52:39

Thanks all. I spoke to my gynae meanwhile & he said that it was almost certainly due to stress. So that's one thing less to worry about!

Phew Sauce, bet that was a relief. You learn something every day!

Phew Sauce, bet that was a relief. You learn something every day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now