Advanced search

Unsure what to do after falling

(65 Posts)
NCforleg Tue 07-May-19 10:08:34

On Saturday night I fell down some outside steps. They were metal and it had been raining. I have a graze on my knee and ankle.

I have had very little sleep since due to the pain. Pain that is making me feel very sick. BUT there is no swelling or bruising, and although I have a slight limp I am walking on the leg.

I've tried to attach a picture. I just don't know if it should be checked, as there is no swelling or bruising, but then there is pain. If I should be checked, minor injuries or a&e? I really do not want to be wasting anyone's time.

Thank you. And if you recognise me then 🤫

OP’s posts: |
gamerchick Tue 07-May-19 10:10:44

But what kind of pain is it? From the graze or from the leg?

Tbh if the pains keeping you awake, it might be better to get it looked at.

motherone Tue 07-May-19 10:10:50

Yes go and get checked pain is a sign

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Tue 07-May-19 10:15:01

Have you taken any painkillers?? I'd rest and elevate, maybe a cold compress

if it was metal stairs, a heavy fall on your shin bone that bruise is probably what my mother would call a bone idea if they actually exist, but from past experience that's certainly what it feels like, and precious little evidence like when you fall on a fleshier area and get all the black and rainbow colours

I probably wouldn't go anywhere with it tbh....just sit at home and make everyone pander to me....hope you feel better soon!

NCforleg Tue 07-May-19 10:17:15

Thank you. I think it's a bit of both. I've kept the graze cleaned and covered but also let it get air when I can.

I have now dressed the graze and put a support bandage on also.

I think I'll pop along to a&e then as I'm guessing they may want to X-ray and minor injuries can't do that.

OP’s posts: |
NCforleg Tue 07-May-19 10:19:49

@MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours thank you. I did think maybe there's a little internal bruising. It's the lack of visible bruising or swelling that made me just carry on.

I have been taking painkillers and resting as much as possible. Maybe I will wait a bit longer then before getting it checked. Or maybe pop along to a pharmacist who can look and give advice.

OP’s posts: |
MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Tue 07-May-19 10:20:50

looking again, it's quite high up, did you twang your knee? Is that where the pain is??

Some minor injuries have xray machines, they just don't like to tell you! Or don't have them staffed everyday.

Pythonesque Tue 07-May-19 14:11:37

Serious pain with nausea as well, still present more than 48 hours after the accident, sounds to me to need properly checking out. As well as non-obvious underlying damage I'd be worrying about infection. Hope you get seen somewhere and advised or reassured on the basis of a careful and knowledgeable checkup!

Rosielee93 Tue 07-May-19 18:08:12

You haven't actually gone to a&e for a graze?

NCforleg Tue 07-May-19 19:02:31

No I haven't I'm going to the local pharmacy tomorrow to have it looked at as he is very good.

But it's not just the graze it's the pain and nausea from the knee and my ankle that I was asking about.

OP’s posts: |
SoupDragon Tue 07-May-19 19:23:18

Go to A&E.

It's not about the graze (FFS 🙄) it's the fact that you have pain that is bad enough to make you feel nauseous.

TheresWaldo Tue 07-May-19 19:25:21

A friend of mine tripped last week - she had pain and nausea, and passed out despite thinking she had done nothing serious. She had broken her ankle so badly it needed pinning. Go get checked out!

lljkk Tue 07-May-19 19:27:14

Let us know what happens, OP. The lack of swelling but severe nausea is an odd combo. I'd be confused, too. Are you ill with something else as coincidence?

Justonemorepancake Tue 07-May-19 19:28:32

Don't bloody go to a&e as it's not an emrgency! It needs medical attention for sure and ideally very soon for your comfort but it's not an emergency. Look up minor injuries units as they often have xray abilities or call your GP or 111 for advice on where best to go.

SprogletsMum Tue 07-May-19 19:29:35

I'd go and get it checked at a&e. My ds fell a few weeks ago and broke his wrist. He had no swelling at all but it was a clear break.

gamerchick Tue 07-May-19 19:30:58

Don't bloody go to a&e as it's not an emrgency!

Should we take the accident part out of it now then? hmm

Justonemorepancake Tue 07-May-19 19:34:10

It's what minor injuries units exist for. To take the pressure off a massively overstretched A&E.

gamerchick Tue 07-May-19 19:38:13

And if they don't have the x-ray (which is pretty inevitable) then they'll just send to a&e anyway. So taking up 2 seperate spots instead of 1.

Justonemorepancake Tue 07-May-19 19:40:04

Not necessarily. They can refer to the xray department of the hospital or elsewhere directly, saving OP's time and that of S&E staff. From the NHS:
"Minor injuries units (MIUs) are there to help with injuries that need attention urgently but are not critical or life threatening – such as: sprains, strains, cuts and grazes. arm, foot and leg injuries. bites, minor burns and scalds. broken bones. minor head injuries."
A&E is for life-threatening injuries or conditions.

NCforleg Tue 07-May-19 19:41:24


And if they don't have the x-ray (which is pretty inevitable) then they'll just send to a&e anyway. So taking up 2 seperate spots instead of 1.

This is why I posted, I haven't used minor injuries for over 8 years and last time we just got sent to a&e. No it's not an emergency but yes I have had an "accident" if it was swollen and bruised I would have been straight to a&e but it's the lack of them things that is confusing me.

OP’s posts: |
Justonemorepancake Tue 07-May-19 19:41:55

I have personally been referred to the local community hospital for xrays before when the MIU didn't have xray, rather than the big hospital. Now they're more kitted out.

TerribleTwosPhase Tue 07-May-19 19:42:24

If the pain is making you feel nauseous you really do need to get it checked. I think if it's broken walking about on it can make it worse? If you have a minor injuries unit that has x-ray go there, if not a & e.
No point in suggesting your doctor, they'll only send you to minor injuries or a & e anyway. Hope you are ok.

Justonemorepancake Tue 07-May-19 19:43:42

Your minor injuries unit may now be more kitted out. 111 can advise where has xray near to you or who can refer you for one. I know you're in pain and need it sorted, and if they refer you there then fair do's, at least you've followed the recommended channels.

gamerchick Tue 07-May-19 19:49:45

Your minor injuries unit may now be more kitted out

If it's still open. Ours was closed a few years ago you're making a lot of assumptions

dreamyflower Tue 07-May-19 20:02:33

Bless you. Go to A&E- you could have chipped the bone or fractured it. If you can't sleep, go now. You will get seen eventually. If you make a dr appointment or go to minor, they will send you to a&e anyway. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »