Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gripe water

(16 Posts)
Lyndag Tue 17-Jul-07 21:40:50

Can you use more than the recommended dosage as its all herbal? My dd settles if I give her gripe water with cooled boiled water but the 6 doses in 24hrs is a killer??!!?!?!? HELP!?!?!?

WigWamBam Tue 17-Jul-07 21:47:09

I wouldn't exceed the recommended dose. Just because it's herbal doesn't mean it's safe to take extra doses - even natural ingredients can be harmful if taken to excess.

Lyndag Tue 17-Jul-07 21:49:29

damn screaming baby day or night thats the other option

WigWamBam Tue 17-Jul-07 22:25:21

I know it's frustrating but the screaming baby option is probably a much better one than the poisoned-by-an-overdose baby option ...

Herbal medication is still medication, and it's really not safe to mess with the doses.

hoolagirl Tue 17-Jul-07 22:35:18

Please do not exceed the dose.
As wigwambam said, just because its herbal does not mean it is less potent.

Mock Tue 17-Jul-07 22:38:34

Screaming baby better than overdosing on gripe water.

Try infacol or dentinox instead.

Also worth bearing in mind, some babies just cry lots in the evening - particularly if cluster feeding.

Lyndag Wed 18-Jul-07 06:45:00

I wouldn't overdose her infacol doesn't work anymore shes been on that since week 2

Any other suggestions she is curling up and screaming like she is in pain HV says its wind but she can be asleep and wake up screaming I feel so helpless that she is in pain and nothing I do seems to help her

Bubbaloo Wed 18-Jul-07 08:07:03

Are you bottle feeding and if so have you tried the Dr.Brown bottles aswell as the Gripe water?
My ds2 is 13 weeks old and spent the first 8 weeks or so screaming the place down all day and all night and it was definately a wind problem.
I changed the formula and started using the dr.brown bottles and he's like a different baby.He has also started sleeping through the night since then too.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 18-Jul-07 08:16:15

Might be worth a trip to the GP then. She could have reflux.

Lyndag Wed 18-Jul-07 10:40:38

yeap using Dr Browns bottles and mix feeding currently expressing and formula, she is now 5.5weeks old I have just spoke to the health visitor and they have said its colic - nothing much can be done she is like it all day and early evening i hate to see her in pain

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 18-Jul-07 10:44:52

She's too young for gripe water then, surely?

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 18-Jul-07 10:45:22

Have you tried changing formula? Do you think she could be having a reaction to cows milk protein?

Enid Wed 18-Jul-07 10:46:56

colief worked a bit for us

but mainly walking round nd round the house jiggling her

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 18-Jul-07 10:49:10

get checked for reflux. HV's dont necessarily know much about it.

mistlethrush Wed 18-Jul-07 10:54:21

My ds had colic from day 3 (I was still in hospital that night - even midwives didn't say it was this, but exactly the same cry as when it was definitely colic later on - completely different type of crying and nothing would help). We would sometimes have a screeming baby from about 7pm to 4 or 5am - we just had to take it in turns to get through the night in shifts, and crying would stop for maximum of 20mins during that time.

Colief did help - we got this prescribed (quite expensive if you're getting through as many bottles a week as we were). Its a real pain if you're breastfeeding as you have to express a little and mix it with the colief and feed it prior to every feed, but this was worth it.

The one thing that finally stopped the colic - and this was a sudden stop - was going to see a cranial osteopath. She told me that the bones in the skull can sometimes get slightly stuck in the 'wrong' position, and this can push on a nerve in the neck which is very important for digestion.

Whilst they do grow out of colic in time, I would certainly consider this if you can find a good one near you - if we have a second child, I will be taking them there before we have any problems with colic, even if I have no reason to think that there may be a problem - the treatment is really gentle.

Hope that this helps

Lyndag Wed 18-Jul-07 11:01:04

Thanks for the replies...

VeniVidiVickiQV - gripe water was recommended by the HV it can be used from 1month I've asked about changing the formula but they say this is unlikely the cause as she was on this from day one as we had problems getting her latched on in hospital from day 1 she has had formula and expressed milk. We have her 6 week check next week so I will ask the doctor about reflux.

Enid & Mistlethrush - thanks I will try colief and see if that works any better for her. I will also look into finding a cranial osteopath.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now