Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IS THIS CYSTITIS?

(5 Posts)
WinnieThePooh Tue 17-Jul-07 20:41:05

My DD (almost 5) is complaining of a needle like pain in her bottom and it is sore when she does a wee.

I have put some Sudocrem on for her and given her some Disprol.

I don't think she drinks enough during the day so have asked her to make sure she drinks all the Disprol for me.

Am I right in thinking it is Cystitis and drinking more water will help?

funnypeevesculiar Tue 17-Jul-07 20:46:11

Certainly sounds possible ...although personally I'd want to get her checked out by a doctor...

Don't know if the over the counter rememdies are suitable for kids but there are a few of them - also try:
- drinking LOTS of bland liquid - ideally water.
- cranberry juice
- hot water bottle applied to tummy helps me

Apparently some people are more prone, so if your dd is one of them, it would be good to try & find ways to encourage more water drinking - & add cranberry juice into the diet!

WinnieThePooh Tue 17-Jul-07 20:50:17

Thanks for that reply.

She will drink water, but I don't think she drinks enough. Have tried cranberyy juice before, but she does not like it. If she is still complaining later I will warm up her Beddy Bear for her.

WigWamBam Tue 17-Jul-07 20:54:19

Drinking more water will help in the longer term, but if it's cystitis or a UTI she will probably need antibiotics to shift it.

The OTC remedies aren't suitable for children; dd has repeated bouts and I haven't found anything OTC that I can use for her.

If she is prone to infections they may want to send her for a scan to make sure her kidneys are working properly, and to rule out things like kidney reflux and kidney stones.

WinnieThePooh Tue 17-Jul-07 20:57:46

Thanks WWB,

I will see how she is in the morning and call the docs if necessary. DP is at home tomorrow, so he will be able to take us to the surgery if needed, rather than witing for the bus.

I have said to her that she may miss tmorrow at school if I needto take her to the docs and she said "I have my party on Thursday" so I really hope that she is ok in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now