Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS3 has a little pea sized lump at the back of his neck, is it a swollen gland/lymph node thing?

(11 Posts)
MegaLegilimens Tue 17-Jul-07 20:19:55

He is a little under the weather, a bit of a temp but worst of all an enormous mouth ulcer.

I suffer with mouth ulcers when I'm run down as does DS1 and now so it seems DS3. The glands/lymph nodes in my neck come up on the side of the ulcer and I have never worried about it. DS3 complained that his neck hurt (I always panic when they say that)he said he could feel a lump and I felt it too. Would it be an enlarged lymph node do you think?

LilRedWG Tue 17-Jul-07 20:21:12

Sounds like it, but why don't you take him to the doctors to get it checked out, just for reassurance.

Wehenver I have a cold/coldsore/ulcer, the glands on the back of my neck and head swell - very pretty!

tassis Tue 17-Jul-07 20:21:54

i'd completely forgotten this...ds had same when he was about a year.

took him to doc and it was glands/lymph nodes (forget TBH)

I'd think it was worth getting it checked but probably nothing

LilyLoo Tue 17-Jul-07 20:22:03

would definately say so if he is unwell. I have one that i recently found and went to the docs with it as not unwell and he said when they enlarge they can sometimes remain like that so would wait until he feels better but even then don't panic, although a quick trip to docs may put your mind at rest.

WendyWeber Tue 17-Jul-07 20:22:58

Kind of behind the ear but up a bit? If so yes, it is a lymph node, very scary though. (DS2 had one when aged about 5, I felt it in the bath and hared off to the doc next day, he was very kind about it )

MegaLegilimens Tue 17-Jul-07 20:23:04

Think I will, we have a really good nurse practioner service, will take him tomorrow.

He ended up in bed with us last night as he was hot but I ended up in his bed as he kept kicking the duvet off and I was freezing.

He's fine in the day but gtemp goes up at night.

MegaLegilimens Tue 17-Jul-07 20:24:19

It's actually at the very back/nape of the neck rather than behind his ear (which is where I feel mine when they come up.)

Wills Tue 17-Jul-07 20:24:29

YES. My duaghter had the same a few months back. Took it to the docs anyway (dh has cancer so am not shy)!

MegaLegilimens Tue 17-Jul-07 21:30:14

Was your daughter OK?

Wills Thu 19-Jul-07 16:12:33

Wasn't clear was I! Sorry. She's absolutely fine and yes it was just a swollen gland. Felt so odd though, just like a pea. Felt really really sick when I first felt it.

3littlefrogs Thu 19-Jul-07 18:22:29

This is really common in little children - they do get little enlarged lymph nodes with any sort of illness or virus - even very mild ones. It is due to their immature immune systems that react to everything. If they don't seem otherwise really ill, it is usually self limiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now