Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Infant constipation remedies - substitutes for Karo corn syrup?

(19 Posts)
lilQuidditchKel Tue 17-Jul-07 16:09:42

Hi there

Been told by some of my American friends/family to give my DD a spoonful of Karo dark corn syrup in her bottle as a remedy for her straining and constipation.

Anyone know of any products available in the UK which are the same? I suppose plain table sugar, maple syrup, or even golden syrup would be similar. I'm not sure you can get a hold of molasses here but that would be similar as well.

I realise honey would work but is not allowed for under 1's...

Thanks in advance

WigWamBam Tue 17-Jul-07 18:02:23

How old is she?

If she's weaned then maybe a little prune juice, but I wouldn't recommend putting anything at all in her bottle if she's very little.

Massaging their tummies often helps - use a circular motion in a clockwise direction. You can also make "bicycling" movements with her legs, which can help. Warm baths can sometimes get them moving as well.

lulumama Tue 17-Jul-07 18:04:38

please don;t give her sugar/ syrup, she is only a few weeks old

try water

different formula

warm bath

gentle anti clockwise massage after bath , on tummy

bicycling legs

and speak to doc. might be able to get something on prescription if this is a chronic problem

lulumama Tue 17-Jul-07 18:04:58

sorry, have repeated most of WWBs advice !

jellysmummy Tue 17-Jul-07 18:07:43

my dd1 suffered with terrible constipation, god what a nightmare! Now well out the other side, but do get on top of it because it can be hell. If it is straight forward constipation, try a spoonful of brown sugar in warm, previously boiled water. That usually shifts things along, recommended by GP friend.
I would advise that you keep an eye on things, tho' try not to become all anal about it !

lilQuidditchKel Tue 17-Jul-07 18:08:37

hi guys

she's 8 weeks old -

I've tried everything else you suggested already. Including the dr. Had to go private actually as my NHS GP didn't take us seriously...thought it was "just colic" grrrr poor thing was screaming in agony...

rant over, sorry, thanks for the replies anyway

lilQuidditchKel Tue 17-Jul-07 18:09:35

xposted Jellysmummy - thanks for the post - was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who heard of this remedy or had a baby who suffered so badly!

lulumama Tue 17-Jul-07 18:33:02

what did the private GP recommend or prescribe?

lilQuidditchKel Tue 17-Jul-07 19:14:12

hello lulumama - something called movicol for stool softening (which worked) - and losec for her reflux (does not work). It's her painful straining to burp or make a bowel movement which still worry me (not so much the reflux, which seems quite mild in comparison to DS).

against some advice I switched her to a lactose-free formula and am finding it sits much more easily in her belly. the urgency for her to burp has definitely eased up. hope it continues...my gut (ha ha) tells me that it's been her formula all along creating the wind and blocking up her bowels...

lulumama Tue 17-Jul-07 19:21:00

have you tried or been prescribed ranitidine and domperidone for the reflux...that often helps

also, there are special formulas you can get on prescription to help with that

did doc advise to go dairy free?

lilQuidditchKel Tue 17-Jul-07 19:36:03

we're switching from losec to ranitidine later this week - hope she tolerates it better

ever heard of previset?

dr did not advise to change to dairy free but osteopath did. frankly i trust him a helluva lot more than i trust our gp ...

unfortunately because my gp doesn't "believe" she has probs with formula I can't get her formula on NHS prescription . I have to blardy get it shipped from the US!!

lulumama Tue 17-Jul-07 19:54:47

not heard of that no....hope she is better on it though

can you see a different GP? how appalling, must be very frustrating^

jabberwocky Tue 17-Jul-07 20:00:01

Have you tried a glycerin suppository? Would check with her dr. first. If it's OK at that age you would usually cut off just a small piece since she's so little.

lilQuidditchKel Tue 17-Jul-07 20:15:28

will ask GP about suppository thanks

I think sometimes she just kinda gets cramps or something - like she's straining to do a poo but actually doesn't need to IYKWIM

yeah I went to a different GP in the same practice...she went down the hall and asked the old GP what to do..grrrr so much for a second opinion without paying through the blardy nose for it!!!

I really felt like my DC wasn't dying so therefore they couldn't be arsed to check into the cause of her crying/screaming spells. grrr.

hasiba43 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:00:32

Whatever the case may be, corn kero syrup for infant constipation is sweet like sugar, and it has been proven to stimulate the intestinal tract of the infant, basically kick-starting the bowel movement of the baby, thus proving that it is good for infant constipation. And because Karo corn syrup has a pleasant taste, it is much easier to get the baby to eat the substance than it is to get him/her to take chemical laxatives or any other laxatives that are commonly used for infants.
constipation.how/karo-syrup-for-infant-constipation/

Orangebird69 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:06:55

Are you formula feeding and if so, what formula are you giving?

Orangebird69 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:07:26

Also, when she does poo, what consistency and colour is it?

FayeandMe Sun 19-Feb-17 16:09:50

ZOMBIE THREAD

Orangebird69 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:13:34

Oops! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now