Advanced search

What should I do about this dickie hip?

(8 Posts)
ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 02-May-19 17:55:50

I think it is inflammation but I’m not medically trained.

My left hip. It started about 20 years ago when I was a teenager. It gets very “nippy” and “burning” painful which spreads across my lower back and the hip sticks out which makes me lopsided as if my right leg is shorter than my left. I’m “tilted” to the right hand side if that makes sense. I can’t straighten my body.

It doesn’t happen all that often but when it does it knocks me out of action for several days. It’s happening right now and has been going on for over a week now which is the longest it’s ever been for. I deal with it using ibuprofen, deep heat and baths. And gentle walks to keep me from seizing up. Unfortunately I can’t afford not to work right now and I’m a cleaner so I’ve been working as normal albeit a lot slower and no doubt this is what has prolonged the situation. At home I’m taking it very easy to try and compensate.

So I think if I see the GP they will tell me it is inflammation and tell me to do as I have been doing. Am I wrong?

If it is inflammation is there anything else I can do that will help it?

OP’s posts: |
MissKittyBeaudelais Thu 02-May-19 19:51:33

You need to visit your gp. It could be treated with medication or physio or surgery. Make an appointment.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 02-May-19 20:35:30

Thanks misskitty I think I knew that’s what I needed to do but needed someone else to say it. Don’t want to waste GP time if I can sort it at home.

OP’s posts: |
Frogshoe Thu 02-May-19 20:41:08

Did you have DDH as a baby? I would ask your GP to refer you to a specialist

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 02-May-19 20:59:03

What is DDH? I’ve never heard my mum mention anything but I can ask her.

OP’s posts: |
Frogshoe Thu 02-May-19 21:06:58

Developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) is a condition where the "ball and socket" joint of the hip does not properly form in babies and young children. It's sometimes called congenital hip dislocation or hip dysplasia. I had exactly the same symptoms as you have described as a teenager. I really would see your GP

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 02-May-19 21:08:15

Thank you! I’ll definitely go to the GP and also speak with my mum too.

OP’s posts: |
BollocksToBrexit Thu 02-May-19 21:18:05

I get trochanteric bursitis which is inflammation of the fluid sack on the outside of the hip. When it really kicks off, it's agony and feels like my hip is out of place. I see a physio twice a week and have steroid injections when it's really bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »