Talk

Advanced search

Possible overactive thyroid, very fast heart rate

(3 Posts)
moscovv Wed 01-May-19 18:13:17

I went to the GP about a month ago for something irrelevant to this, but as part of this appointment she checked my heart rate, which was 140 resting ( I know...confused ). She immediately sent me to hospital for an ECG (the stress and shock of all this did nothing to aid my fast heart rate I'm sure...hmm ). I've suffered from very bad anxiety for virtually my whole life and an elevated heart rate when feeling particularly panicked is one of my symptoms, I was on beta blockers for this for a few months a couple of years ago. However at the time of this appointment I wasn't feeling particularly worried or panicked at all, no more than usual, the appointment was for something fairly routine.

I went on holiday and came back a few weeks later to find a letter from the doctor saying that the ECG said my heart rhythm was normal but my heart rate was still very high so she wanted me to get a blood test as it could be due to an overactive thyroid. I had the blood test this morning and I am waiting for results. Incidentally, I ended up at the walk in for a UTI on Saturday and as part of their routine checks they did my heart rate again which started at 130 and gradually went down to 109.... they expressed concern and I told them about all this.

Both times when my heart rate has been checked I haven't felt like it's been going fast, when I am very worried about stuff I can tell it's beating fast but on these occasions I felt nothing.

I know overactive thyroid can be due to Graves disease which is an auto immune condition, I have a family history of various autoimmune conditions (type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, Addison's disease etc) so I guess I'm kinda expecting to be told it's this, possibly???? Not really sure what I'm posting for, but I guess I just want to hear stories about similar experiences? I felt like there was a swelling in my throat a few days ago but that seems to have gone. I generally am a very anxious and jumpy person, which NHS lists as a symptom. I've been like this for a long time but it's got worse in the last few weeks as I'm going through a particularly difficult time, and all this has not helped that!

I guess in a way my main worry in a way, rather than being told I've got a thyroid condition as from what I can tell overactive thyroid actually seems fairly easy treatment wise (??) is that the blood test results are normal, and that it's all anxiety. I've been having therapy and other treatments for it for YEARS and it waxes and wanes and is especially bad at the moment as I have a lot going on, I am doing all I can but it's so hard. I'm also concerned that a consistently fast heart rate, no matter the cause, could do actual damage to my heart if I don't get it under control, I don't know if this is true though. Just looking for some reassurance and to let it all out I guess

OP’s posts: |
jennymac Wed 01-May-19 22:41:28

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid a few weeks ago and I had the same symptoms as you. Mine is graves disease but am responding really well to the medication and feeling much better.

moscovv Wed 01-May-19 23:01:17

Thank you Jenny and I'm glad you're feeling better! I'll be really interested to see if it does turn out to be this and my life long anxiety starts to go...(fingers crossed!)

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »