Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRSA - just found this - bloody interesting I thought

(11 Posts)
doyouwantfrieswiththat Mon 16-Jul-07 22:18:27

here

Desiderata Mon 16-Jul-07 22:22:09

Wow! That is fascinating.

<And this will be the time to get into copper speculation, because of all the alloys, copper's the one that swings the most precariously on the stock market>

Really, something so inherently simple will probably save thousands of lives every year.

Desiderata Mon 16-Jul-07 22:25:23

Sorry! Copper is a metal, not an alloy.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Mon 16-Jul-07 22:26:52

hmm can't decide if it's an April fool so will investigate further..but silver is a well known anti-bacterial

Desiderata Mon 16-Jul-07 22:35:47

No, there's probably something in it. Metals are conductors. You only have to feel copper to know that it's different from S/steel. And it oxidizes, so there's probably something in that, too.

<I should have been a metallurgist>

doyouwantfrieswiththat Mon 16-Jul-07 22:39:57

'tis bloody interesting & ironic that we all think stainless steel is so hygienic.

did you ever see dragons den where a chap was peddling silver ion technology to deodorise shoes?...wish I had some of that.

Desiderata Mon 16-Jul-07 23:53:45

I didn't, but I have a feeling he was probably right.

dayofftomorrow Tue 17-Jul-07 08:59:09

could it be something to do with copper interfering with iron which is needed to make bacteria grow (one of the reasons breast fed babies have less stomach upsets than bottle fed is because the small amount of iron is bound in a special way so the bacteria cannot get hold of it)

Beachcomber Tue 17-Jul-07 09:42:41

You know how some folk wear copper bracelets for some sort of health reason (can't remember what)? I have always wondered if this is mumbo jumbo or if there is something in it. I guess there is something, must look into it.

How cool if something so simple and with no side effects can help.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Thu 19-Jul-07 15:44:04

it's not an April fool

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1509513.ece

http://www.soton.ac.uk/mediacentre/news/2007/mar/07_37.shtml

Millarkie Thu 19-Jul-07 15:48:21

I've worked in a medical lab where copper shelving was used in some equipment, to reduce the chance of bacterial infections..and that was at least 10 years ago.
(Although I haven't seen any copper doorknobs in hospitals )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now