Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding and cramping on norethisterone?

(5 Posts)
jitterbug5 Mon 29-Apr-19 14:27:35

Hi, I have an appointment booked with the GP today but I'm worried I'm wasting an appointment confused

I had the copper coil fitted about about 16 weeks ago after having my second DS (7 months old). I was spotting for a few weeks with my period in between and it all settled down eventually albeit longer and painful periods. I've had frequent spotting after intercourse and the odd couple of days spotting between cycles also. At the beginning of last week I started spotted again a week and a half before my period was due, however I just assumed it was my period on its way. I had a smear test on the Tuesday, although she said my results may be inconclusive as I was spotting. I continued spotting for that week and the week after so I booked to see the GP the Thursday just gone. She prescribed me norethisterone 5mg 3 x a day for 10 days and told me to go back in 3 weeks for a review. However I'm on day 5 and I'm bleeding heavier than ever. I've even had to put a tampon in. I have absolutely agonising cramps also. I don't understand why as I thought it stopped bleeding but this is really uncomfortable sad

OP’s posts: |
jitterbug5 Mon 29-Apr-19 14:28:35

Sorry should have I had the coil for years before DC and never had any problems

onionknightforking Mon 29-Apr-19 14:45:15

I had to take it after a 4 week period that would not stop, it took around 2 days to actually kick in but the cramping was awful, really really awful much worse than normal period pains.

jitterbug5 Mon 29-Apr-19 15:01:33

@onionknightforking thanks for the reply! Should the bleeding have stopped by now then, on day 5? It's considerably heavier sad

onionknightforking Mon 29-Apr-19 15:16:32

Oh sorry, I missed that in your OP, yes it should have definitely have stopped. I had a 10 day course and I think it took around 2 days to kick in but I stopped by 5 as the cramps were so terrible and it was making me constipated which made the cramping worse. I wasn't on the coil at this point (I am since) and the bleeding came back within a few hours of stopping - I ended up taking the rest of the course again to stop the bleeding for a smear a couple of weeks later, it stopped the bleeding and randomly the bleeding stopped in general, I went back to having a normal cycle from no where.

In your position I would stop taking it as it's not doing what it should and is possibly making it worse, and honestly the cramps were not worth it. I had emergency scans and tests for the bleeds but never got an explanation, I hope yours calms down too. I've had the copper coil for almost a year and I can have spotting for up to 2 weeks before a full period, some months it's fine and some, like this month, it's temperamental.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »