Talk

Advanced search

Day surgery with a general anaesthetic

(13 Posts)
PenelopeCleary Mon 29-Apr-19 08:12:14

I'm having day surgery under general anaesthetic tomorrow to remove a facial wart. The information booklet is very helpful if you're staying in overnight but not so much if you're a day case, so I'd be grateful for any advice/suggestions/tips on what to wear etc. I'm thinking comfortable layers, elasticated waist - does that sound along the right lines?

Greybeardy Mon 29-Apr-19 09:16:14

Seriously just wear whatever you want - people turn up in everything from Sunday best to grubby PJs! smile

Toddlerteaplease Mon 29-Apr-19 09:23:10

They'll give you a gown. So wear what you like.

octonoughtcake3 Mon 29-Apr-19 09:24:07

Easy clothes to take on off.

tisonlymeagain Mon 29-Apr-19 09:28:50

Yep you'll have a hospital gown so just something that's easy to get in and out of. Oh and nice pants grin those gowns never cover everything up. You might feel a bit groggy and disorientated afterwards so nothing that's a big faff.

PenelopeCleary Mon 29-Apr-19 13:28:22

That’s really helpful, thanks - especially the tip about the pants 😊

hatemyhairhun Tue 30-Apr-19 01:48:47

My hospital stated to bring a dressing gown and slippers, so you’ll be in your dressing gown over the hospital gown the majority of the time and wear slippers over your compression socks when you move around the ward.

Wear whatever you like really. However, I found the hospital to be really hot after I got dressed, so felt quite uncomfortable from the hour duration from when I got changed to when I was discharged, and I was wearing a dress in winter lol (gynae surgery)

I would probably recommend lightweight & cool clothes, then bring a coat that you can throw on if you feel cold. A jumper might sound cosy but don’t underestimate how hot hospitals may get, especially when you’re recovering from the GA!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 30-Apr-19 01:57:35

Something that’s easy to get over your head or fastens at the front.

Blondie1984 Tue 30-Apr-19 02:02:05

Good underwear, a pashmina or shawl for if you get chilly and don't forget to take your jewellery off before you go.
I always take a book or magazine with me too to help pass the time as you don't know how quickly you'll be seen or released

Good luck!

Aquamarine1029 Tue 30-Apr-19 02:51:49

Since it's on your face, wear whatever. Just be comfortable. I've had general for day surgery 6 times. It's a breeze.

PenelopeCleary Tue 30-Apr-19 06:14:34

Thanks everyone for responding - off to check in at 7 and I could already kill for a coffee!

hatemyhairhun Tue 30-Apr-19 16:06:47

How did it go?? Hope you’re doing well

PenelopeCleary Tue 30-Apr-19 19:54:26

It all went very smoothly, thanks. I ended up being last on the morning list so I was starving, but was home by mid-afternoon and the cat has been keeping an eye on me!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »