Talk

Advanced search

Mums major surgery tomorrow morning.

(20 Posts)
Boysey45 Sun 28-Apr-19 10:13:05

My Mums having a total hip replacement tomorrow, shes signed in for 7am.I hope she will be o.k because they have said its a 20% risk of having a heart attack or stroke because she has some existing health problems. Shes been housebound for a year because her hip kept giving way.

If anyone could send her a positive thought that would be nice.

OP’s posts: |
StrongTea Sun 28-Apr-19 10:19:01

Hope your mum’s op goes well, sure it will make a big difference to her. My aunt had the same op last year at 89 and made a great recovery.

bevelino Sun 28-Apr-19 10:19:07

Lots of good wishes, hugs and flowers for your lovely mum. I wish her a speedy and safe recovery.

FaithInfinity Sun 28-Apr-19 10:21:54

The anaesthetist may well offer her a spinal? It may be the safer choice if she has pre-existing health issues.

Hope it all goes well.

Shadycorner Sun 28-Apr-19 10:23:02

Oh bless you and your mum Boysey. You are bound to be worried but my dh's aunt recently had this op in her mid-eighties and she found it a lot less traumatic then anticipated. Try and take comfort in the fact that medical techniques have really come on in the last 15 yrs, it's an op that's done very regularly (so surgeons will be very experienced) and, although it's an ordeal, hopefully she won't find it too uncomfortable. Hopefully all will go well and your mum will be out and about before too long! Wishing you both the very best.

BuckingFrolics Sun 28-Apr-19 10:32:47

My Dm has this last year. Not too great for a few days after the op - nausea, bunged up, bad and vivid dreams, all caused by anaesthetic. Then great. She was diligent about doing the exercises they gave her.

She's 100% better now and can outwalk me any day. It'll be fine

Boysey45 Sun 28-Apr-19 10:34:22

Yes shes having the epidural and sedation. Thanks for your good wishes. The level of anxiety I've had with this has been really horrible.

Tolleshunt Sun 28-Apr-19 10:34:48

Ah, you must be very worried OP, but I would reiterate what pps said about the medics procedures being very routine in this area. She will be in very safe hands.

I will send healing and protective thoughts for your mum.

I don't know if you have any religious or spiritual leanings, but if you do, you might find some relief for your anxiety by asking/praying for help for your mum.

Langrish Sun 28-Apr-19 10:35:56

Sending positive thoughts. Stepdad had this, it’s changed his life. Focus on a great outcome.

Boysey45 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:37:17

Thank you all for you kind words. I'll let you how she gets on.X

bestbefore Sun 28-Apr-19 11:54:13

My mum is having hers done tomorrow as well; bit of a rollercoaster to get there but 🤞🏻 it goes well for both of them, I believe it will make life a lot easier once recovery is done.

Boysey45 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:57:49

Good luck for your Mum as well!

Jowak1 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:44:37

Sending your mum lots of love and positive thoughts xx

Boysey45 Mon 29-Apr-19 13:17:15

Just rung the hospital now and spoke to her, shes got through o.k and is coming round flat on her back.She said it was a right experience and she could hear the whirring and grinding of the machines.! Thanks for all the good wishes and I hope the other lady is doing well also.

Shadycorner Mon 29-Apr-19 13:25:10

That's great news op! Hope your mother has a speedy recovery x

Shadycorner Mon 29-Apr-19 13:26:05

And to your mother too Bestbefore!

bestbefore Mon 29-Apr-19 17:29:15

@Boysey45 glad your mum is ok....my mums was cancelled at the last minute due to admin error/ colossal cock up/ the NHS not being joined up but I won't go into it here....hopefully she will be able to get it done soonest.
From what I have heard your mum will be up and out and about before she knows it!

HotSpotSpot Mon 29-Apr-19 17:49:32

Hope your Mum recovers well. 💐💐💐

Tolleshunt Mon 29-Apr-19 20:34:58

Great news, Boysey

Boysey45 Mon 29-Apr-19 21:29:01

Sorry to hear that Best Before I hope she gets another appointment through soon. Its such a worry when its your Mum.x Thank you everyone for your kind wishes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »