Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ear piercing for a 5.5 year old???

(57 Posts)
MrsBigD Mon 16-Jul-07 11:16:02

wasn't sure under which topic to list this...

dd (5.5) yesterday suddenly declared she wants her ears pierced. Guessing it's because one of her little friends has earrings. No idea when she had hers done. Guessing when she was a baby.

I've got pierced ears and recently started wearing earrings again to 'doll up' for work. So that's probably another factor.

Did get her some clip ons but she doesn't like them as they hurt. Don't blame her I never liked clips.

So the question really is... should be give in to her wish as a special treat for her 6th birthday in December? I'm just having visions that she gets so freaked by the first ear being done that they never get round to doing the second ear.

Also when I had my ears done they used this monstrosity of a wing gun which didn't hurt but looked very torture instrument like. Are those still in use or are there more harmless looking devices around nowadays???

TIA

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Mon 16-Jul-07 11:17:17

no no no no no

just because she wants it doesn't mean she should have it.

just tell her it's onlty really for grown up ladies.

tasja Mon 16-Jul-07 11:18:00

I think everyone will tell you not to do it, but it is your choice at the end. I'm getting my DD's done in Dec. She will be 18months then.

MrsBadger Mon 16-Jul-07 11:23:15

I'd say no - she's not yet old enough to look after them properly herself, so it'd only be more hassle for you.

And they still use the same guns you remember.

Tasja, can I asked how come you're waiting till 18m? Last time you posted about it she was 10mo and you wanted them done as soon as possible...

donnie Mon 16-Jul-07 11:24:16

just wait for this to kick off....

tasja Mon 16-Jul-07 11:25:36

Hi Mrs Badger
Yes, I wanted them done, but the money you pay here, it's so expensive. We are visiting our parents in South Africa and we're getting them done over there. Grandparents will pay for it.

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 11:25:49

I'd also say no I'm afraid - my dd (6.5) asks for loads of things - most recently a tattoo and she is no way getting that ! She knows my view on pierced ears and fortunately they are banned at her school anyway - but no - I think it looks cheap if it's not a cultural thing, and on such small children are unsafe.

MrsBigD Mon 16-Jul-07 11:26:05

filchthe... (your name is too long LOL), Oh I know that she doesn't have to have everything she wants. If she did then we'd already have a menagerie of animals, everything there is on barbie, bratz, pollypocket etc. iykwim . And e.g. she knows that she can't have a tatoo till she's 18 DH has a small one on his shoulder so we can't categorically tell her no tat's but she has to be a grown up might use that for the earrings as well. Shall see how much of a fuss she makes and probably then decide...

I was 15 when I had mine done because I was too much of a wooz

My friend had her dd done almost after birth (but seems to be the done thing in Spain and she's from there )

My other friend left it up to her kids and they were ca. 10

mumto3girls Mon 16-Jul-07 11:28:39

Don't do it.

MrsBigD Mon 16-Jul-07 11:28:58

donnie, wait for this tokick off? Did I per chance touch on an inflamable topic here?

Have been away from mn too long me think

Leafturner... re 'cheap' looking... if, then was only going to let her have very small simple stud not diamantee

Budababe Mon 16-Jul-07 11:31:17

I think it's a nice "rite of passage" thing to do for 13th birthday. If I had a DD that is what we would do.

Absolutely hate hate hate it on littlies.

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 11:35:40

no no even studs are cheap - sorry !

SandCastspells Mon 16-Jul-07 11:37:08

Why is it that you are not allowed to smack your child & leave a mark, but you can pierce their ears at any age & leave a hole?

hotcrumpets Mon 16-Jul-07 11:37:58

I was talking about this the other day with somebody who said oh your dd would look so pretty with pierced ears, have you thought of having them done

The earliest I would think about it would probably be 11 when she goes up to big school, not before then, I just don't think it looks nice

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 11:38:37

Someone will be along in a minute to say "mutilation" - wasn't me though - I'm not really here !

geekgirl Mon 16-Jul-07 11:38:37

I would make her wait - not because I have class problems with it , but purely because she is bound to fiddle with them, and get infections etc. (I had mine done at that age and it all went horribly wrong due to fiddling - ended up with a cyst which had to be surgically removed)

MrsBigD Mon 16-Jul-07 11:38:55

LeafTurner np I haven't made up my mind yet anyhow

Budababe, may I ask why 13 for 'rights of passage'? I do associate bar mizvah or bat mizvah with that age so guess that's why?

Blu Mon 16-Jul-07 11:41:58

I wouldn't do it.

It happens not to be my taste, but in terms of safety at school, infections etc, I would choose not to evven if i did like the look of small children with pierced ears.

It's nice to have something to feel grown up about once they ARE grown-up, isn't it?

serenity Mon 16-Jul-07 11:50:54

I think you have to decide whether your DD will be responsible enough to look after them tbh. I had mine done for my 6th birthday and it was fine. I was strangely sensible at that age and was OK keeping them clean. My cousin had them done at the same age and hers got horribly infected and the stud disappeared inside her ear, which meant she ended up having surgery to drain all the ick off and remove the earring.

I'd also check and see what the rules are at school. Ours doesn't allow any jewellery at all, so my DD would have no choice but to wait until she's 11, wouldn't do it if we had to faff about taking them in and out all the time.

Kbear Mon 16-Jul-07 11:52:18

I am a meanie and making DD wait until she is 11. I had to wait until I was 16 so I think she is getting a good deal.

It's a personal choice but I think 5 is too young myself.

MrsBigD Mon 16-Jul-07 12:02:19

I'm more steering towards the 'no you're not having them just yet' because I remember the faffing about to keep them clean and non-infected especially in the first few weeks.

Can't use the 'not allowed in school' because they are as long as they're small studs and taken out for PE.

alibobins Mon 16-Jul-07 12:47:41

I had DD's done when she was 9 months ( much to the disgust of everybody round me) She wore earings for about a year and doesn't wear them at all now and she is nearly seven. Infact she hates the thought of wearing them.

nailpolish Mon 16-Jul-07 12:51:43

i think it looks extremely common

i cannot stand little girls made to look like mini adults

its in the same category as miniskirts and high heels

sorry but i would absolutely not let my dds get their ears pierced before age 15

and i am not at all prudish

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 12:54:04

totally agree np !

lulumama Mon 16-Jul-07 12:55:05

I have a DD, she will not have them pierced before the age of 12...when she is old enough to look after them, and be sensible...i don;t understand the hurry to give adult things to young children

i despair of the crop tops, high heels, mini skirts etc for little girls.....

let her wait, she will appreciate it more,

if she wants something grown up, maybe take her out for a special ladies lunch, and then take her shopping to choose a new outfit, or a toy or soemthing like that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now