Talk

Advanced search

Ulcerative Colitis or Cancer

(7 Posts)
LucyBo17 Tue 23-Apr-19 12:09:53

I am really worried I have Colon Cancer. I have been having bouts of diarrhoea with blood and mucus, my current flare-up isn't clearing up and I'm still bleeding when I go to the loo. The doctor thinks it is probably Ulcerative Colitis and is sending me for a sigmoidoscopy (waiting list is 8 weeks). I also have heartburn and get stomach pains before I need to go to the loo.

My dad died of an aggressive form of colon cancer two years ago at 65 years old and so i'm so scared that I now have it. I just keep thinking about my two boys (1 and 5) and can't stop thinking the worse. At this point a diagnosis of UC would definitely be a relief.

OP’s posts: |
LucyBo17 Thu 25-Apr-19 08:41:46

Would be interested to know what symptoms other UC sufferers have

MotherOfGodFella Thu 25-Apr-19 08:56:15

It’s far more likely to be UC than cancer. I had the same symptoms as you and once you’ve got the right medication I expect it’ll be under control.

My gp prescribed me a 250mg dose of medication and when I was properly diagnosed after the sigmoidoscopy the gastro doc said he had no idea that they even made such a minuscule dose. I now take 4x1200mg dose if I’m having a flare plus suppositories so a huge amount more. So the fact that your symptoms aren’t clearing are probably related to this.

8wks is a long time to wait when you’re worrying. Have you called to ask about cancellations?

flowers

champagneplanet Fri 03-May-19 10:55:24

@LucyBo17 If you don't mind me asking what are your symptoms?

I am currently experiencing mucus and occasionally a little bit of bleeding after I have been to the toilet. I don't have any pain or change to my bowel movements. A google search has frightened the life out of me and I am making an appointment to see my GP.

Rangeloaf Fri 03-May-19 10:59:48

It’s far more likely to be a form of IBD but your doctor should be doing the bowel cancer screening test to check - testing your poo. Also you should be referred in 2 weeks I think if there’s any possibility it could be cancer. I’d push for this as the doctor can’t possibly know what it is without someone having a look.

THEsonofaBITCH Fri 03-May-19 11:00:27

The stomach pain and mucus makes it far more likely to be UC than cancer, sorry you are unwell, but hopefully its the least severe issue!

LucyBo17 Mon 06-May-19 07:56:19

My symptoms are really bad Diarrhea with red blood and mucus, stomach pains, urgency to go to toilet, indigestion and soreness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »