Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD has a harness for a clicky hip - anyone experienced this

(20 Posts)
missis Sun 15-Jul-07 21:51:24

My baby is harnessed so she can't straighten her legs. They say it could be eight weeks and even then her 'shallow' hip joint could return later in her development.

The clothes are supposed to be worn over the harness but this further restricts her movement.

She is allowed half an hour for a bath but could I include 10 mins for changing in the morning?

Katymac Sun 15-Jul-07 21:54:05

How old is she?

My DD was in one for about 8 months - she eventaully started standing up in it & she certainly wasn't distressed or upset by it

magnolia1 Sun 15-Jul-07 21:59:26

I have had 2 children with cdh (congenital dislocation of the hip).
My 1st was not diagnosed until she was a year old. She had traction, a small op, plastercast for 8 weeks then the harness for a few months. She is 11 now. My 2nd (one of twins) was 6 months and had the same as her older sister.

My older oen learnt to kind of walk in hers. We used pop up vests and dresses or trouser with poppers in a bigger size.

We used to do the changing straight after a bath but you do get used to changing with the harness still on.

S.T.E.P.S is a great organisation, they give good support and equipment for children with lower limb dissabilities/difficulties.

It gets easier I promise xx

Katymac Sun 15-Jul-07 22:00:28

DD ripped 3 harnesses into pieces by standing up straight in hers

Frizbe Sun 15-Jul-07 22:07:57

lol Katymac, my dd1 had the pavlic (sp) harness and never once attempted to stand up in it, happily lay flat out on her back, although she did try kicking a few things towards the end of its use?.

Missis, my dd1 was in the harness from month 2, when it became clear double nappies weren't doing the trick. I just used to keep her out for a quick bath, or nappy change and that was it. As the more time in harness now = less chance of hip reduction op later. It worked for us and dd1 was out by 8/9mths, although it seems a pain at the time, its the lesser of the evils. I think Aimiable (it was you wasn't it hon?) has had a more recent experience of this, resulting in an op and plaster for her dd. http://www.hip-baby.org is a good site for info too.

Katymac Sun 15-Jul-07 22:10:40

I walked into her room at about 13m & she was both arms & shoulders plus one leg over the side of the cot........in the harness - she went into a bed that day

Frizbe Sun 15-Jul-07 22:19:52

at your dd, that thought would never have entered dd1's head

Katymac Sun 15-Jul-07 22:22:55

Sorry Missis - didn't mean to Hijack

MollyWeasleyWays Sun 15-Jul-07 22:26:36

I had to wear a full length hip-spika frame for months at age 7, like this

magnolia1 Mon 16-Jul-07 09:33:27

As an adult molly??

tjacksonpfc Mon 16-Jul-07 09:58:07

what type of harness is it my ds had a harnes for 6 weeks for clicky hips i cant remeber the proper name of it but it was a bit of plastic that went up between the legs and was fastened by velcro straps around the middle of it made ds look like a frog when we brought him home from hospital dd said he was a frog not baby. we fond that he could wear lose tracksuit bottoms and big baby grows. he was only allowed it off for changing and baths so we did tend to make changing take longer than it normally would.

Blu Mon 16-Jul-07 10:03:08

Missis, congratulations on your neew baby!
My nephew was in a harness when he was born - for the same thing. Apparantly babies who spent the last months in the breech position often don't move thier legs enough to make the hip socket deep enough.

He was [efectly happy in his harmess - I think loose tracky bottoms in a size or two too big worked. He was in the harness for a few months, and his hips make a complete recovery / catch-up - he is now in his school cricket team etc - v sporty.

The only problem was that when he came out of his harness, he wasn't used to kicking freely and constantly woke himself up until he got used to it!

I too recommend STEPS.

Good luck!

loopylou6 Mon 16-Jul-07 10:47:35

yep my dd ahd this, luckily it was found when she was born, the doctor came to check her over before we where discharged and found it then, a scan revealed a very severe case of it as the joints wernt even near the socket! anyway she had the little frog harness on for 3 months (missis i would reccomend keeping it on at all times because its imperative, no matter how tempted u are to let her have a kick round without it on, its only cruel because at the moment she doesnt know what its like to have full use of her legs) anyway the harness worked a treat for my dd, her consultant said he was very pleased and that they didnt even need to see her for a follow up

loopylou6 Mon 16-Jul-07 10:49:05

oh by the way, iw as always curious to know wht it happened, she wasnt breach or anything and her scans whilst iw as pregnant where fine, does anyone have any idea or is it just one of them things?

magnolia1 Mon 16-Jul-07 10:51:39

Its really hard to figure it out. I had 2 with it and 1 of them has a twin that was fine
I was told it could possibly be a hormone we pass through but I don't buy that as only 1 of my twins got it.

I honestly didn't think I would have another child with it but I did so maybe genetics play a part?

loopylou6 Mon 16-Jul-07 11:08:10

im intrigued now, am gonna do some googling and will report back what i find

loopylou6 Mon 16-Jul-07 11:16:07

Girls are more likely to have clicky hips than boys, as are breech babies, babies who had very little room for kicking around in the womb, babies who were born very late, or babies born in a family where other people have had clicky hips. However in many cases the causes of hip dislocation are not known.

magnolia1 Mon 16-Jul-07 11:18:07

Well mine are girls, the twins would have had less room so maybe one more than the other? No breech though and the 1 daughter I had that was breech is fine. And my cousin has clicky hips so I guess my lot fall into at least 2 of those.

Of course then it may mean their children are more likely to have it

BettySpaghetti Mon 16-Jul-07 11:22:37

I worked on a childrens orthopaedic ward years ago where lots of babies and children had plaster spicas, external fixators etc -parents became quite ingenious and inventive in getting round clothing problems.

Like other posters said, buy larger sizes that fit over the harness or cut the side seams and apply velcro or ties to do it up.

Babies and children do adapt amazingly well to the restriction of their movement so try not to worry. 8 weeks will fly by

dollybird Mon 16-Jul-07 21:01:32

Hiya, my ds had a pavlik harness when he was 3 weeks old but only had it for 3 weeks as it wasn't working. I thought they were only for babies, not children who were standing etc? Anyway, ds went on to have closed hip reduction at 1 yr and it seems to have worked fine. He was given the all clear last year and is now 5 and on annual check-ups. My family goes against all the statistics, as ds had it but dd didn't and she was breech! Would recommend keeping the harness on at all times. it seems really hard as they are so tiny etc and it's really fiddly, but really worth it if you can avoid an op (although you/your baby will cope with an op too - it's amazing what you cope with when you have to!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now