Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know much about IUDs?

(42 Posts)
MrsWho Sun 15-Jul-07 20:14:43

I am looking at contraception that doesn't involve Hormones , any more suggestions ?

southeastastra Sun 15-Jul-07 20:21:34

coil is okay but periods hurt a bit more

MrsWho Sun 15-Jul-07 20:23:48

Yeah thats all I can find about it really and they aren't too bad atm so don't want to make it worse!

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:23:51

i have a copper coil. i dotn like artificial hormones. at first there were a few hiccups ( i lost the first one! had to go for scans etc but it had disappeared! you have to check the threads after each period) also periods are hevy and painful, but saying that mine have died down and are not so heavy now, 2 years on. still painful but fine wiht paracetamol

hth

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:24:50

anything else you need to know just ask away

i would recommend it if you dont like the artificial hormones and they problems they give you

MrsWho Sun 15-Jul-07 20:26:42

I can't take hormones and don't fancy a cap or using condoms long term so this wa sthe only option left really.

My periods atm only last 2-3 days and don't really hurt so don't want to go back to how bad they have been in the past!

southeastastra Sun 15-Jul-07 20:27:43

give it a try, i've had mine about 3 years. you get used to it

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:28:47

the painful heavy periods dont last forever

as i said mine have died down - i get a bit of pain, then the next day period starts, lasts maybe 4 days, period is regular

MrsWho Sun 15-Jul-07 20:29:56

What happens when they put it in? (dare I ask?)

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:32:01

weeeeeeeeelll...........

you lie down with feet in stirrups (so your legs dont get tired) they put in one of these thingys they use for a smear, then they open your cervix a teeny bit and the coil goes in. coil is about 2cm long (i think)

you feel a slight nip when they open your cervix but its over in 2 seconds.

nip the back of your hand to see what kind of nip i mean

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:32:38

take painkillers before you go and htat helps

Jas Sun 15-Jul-07 20:33:26

I love mine. I'm on my third, and have never had the heavier periods problem that it can cause.

Imagine a smear but more IYSWIM for insertion. If you can relax it isn't too bad. Usually done during a period.

Jas Sun 15-Jul-07 20:33:26

I love mine. I'm on my third, and have never had the heavier periods problem that it can cause.

Imagine a smear but more IYSWIM for insertion. If you can relax it isn't too bad. Usually done during a period.

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Sun 15-Jul-07 20:36:47

my periods have completely stopped because of having the mirena coil. i have to say it was quite painful when the lovely gp put it in and it took a few months to 'settle down'. i was sure i could feel it kind of in my abdomen for the first few months. i also feel i've put loads of weight on too....but that might also just be because i'm forty and i've slowed down a bit. not sure if i'd recommend it or not.

MrsWho Sun 15-Jul-07 20:38:13

Thanks will ask GP about it

chilledmama Sun 15-Jul-07 20:42:57

It seemed to be the best alterntive to hormone...and easy to have put in/taken out and no effect on your body.
A lot of people don't like it because it doesn't 'technically' stop you from conceiving...it stops the fertilised egg from implanting...therefore not popular with Catholics etc.
Yes, there can be some dicomfort when it is initially put in...think smear test. and it can slightly uncomfortable for a couple of days...think tampon not quite in the right place. and for some they can have heavier periods/longer periods/more period pains.

I initially had all 3 but all seems to have calmed down...I was opn the pill so long before I got pg with DS that I've got no idea what my natural cycle was like.

Bottom line...have it out in...if its unbearable after 5-6 months...have it taken back out...what have you got to lose?????

Ask if you need more info.

chilledmama Sun 15-Jul-07 20:44:17

OK...o next to p...should read..have it put in not out in which is just silly

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:49:07

Alwayswatching - the mirena coil contains hormones, sthat why your period has stopped - its like taking the pill continually

the OP says she cant take artificial hormones - the copper coil doesnt contain hormones

Pob71 Sun 15-Jul-07 21:08:21

I had one put in 2 weeks ago but it was the hormone one - the mirena. I would have thought that the insertion procedure would be very similar. I found the bit where they "just open up the cervix a wee bit" to be quite painful but it was over in about 3 seconds and has been fine since. The doctor said to me that it varies from person to person how many nerve endings you have in your cervix and therefore is more painful for some than others. Do you usually find smears quite uncomfortable or not at bad? They say to expect cramping for 24 hours after but I wasnt too bad at all - took ibuprofen before the appt to prepare. have has light spotting ona nd off but not bothered as knew to expect this and stocked up on panyliners (not sure if the spotting is to do with the hormone or just it being there -possibly the hormone)

hoxtonchick Sun 15-Jul-07 21:12:42

my periods are quite a lot heavier than before i had my copper coil, & a bit more painful. but i think i got off very lightly before....... i had mine put in 6 weeks after i had dd so didn't feel a thing! i really like the fact it's there for 8 years & i don't have to think about contraception (gulp, 2 years down, only 6 to go!).

chilledmama Sun 15-Jul-07 21:15:29

they usually insert it during your period to make sure you are not pg...i.e. performing an illegal abortotion (as the state and medical board would see it). I knew I wasn't pg as hadn't had sex since DS was born so GP was happy to do mid cycle.

HelloMama Sun 15-Jul-07 21:28:07

Its also better to have put it in when you're on your period because the cervix opens up a little naturally to let the menstrual blood out, so it can make it less uncomfortable.

chilledmama Sun 15-Jul-07 21:35:46

Didn't know that one HM...makes sense!!

Mommalove Sun 15-Jul-07 23:02:15

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 23:11:31

yes, i would recommend it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now