Talk

Advanced search

In agony after osteopath appointment

(12 Posts)
fudgesmummy Sat 20-Apr-19 15:43:01

I’ve just had my first osteopath appointment for sciatica and the pain is worse than ever ☹️
Please tell me it’s a case of getting worse before it gets better 😢
I’m in agony and can hardly stand, never mind walk 😭😭😭

OP’s posts: |
backaftera2yearbreak Sat 20-Apr-19 15:47:57

Can you take a warm bath. That’s what I usually do after appointment. It helps me.

fudgesmummy Sat 20-Apr-19 15:54:01

I would love to but can’t get in or out of the bath 😢
Do you find it’s better the next day?

PragmaticWench Sat 20-Apr-19 15:55:20

Do you know if you have a bulging or herniated disc perhaps?

BuzzPeakWankBobbly Sat 20-Apr-19 15:56:26

It seems odd you were able to leave while in so much pain? If it came on later, I'd call the osteo for advice.

I usually come out of the osteopath feeling like a well-oiled owl! (Sometimes some localised soreness later on or the following day but mild and goes soon after.)

Backtothelist Sat 20-Apr-19 15:58:03

I’d also call the osteopath. I come out feeling released and relaxed all over

fudgesmummy Sat 20-Apr-19 16:06:58

Thank you for your replies 🙂
He said it’s definitely just sciatica. I was in pain when I left and he wasn’t over concerned. I’ve been having to use a stick to walk and thankfully my dh drove me home

Purposeless Sat 20-Apr-19 18:41:31

Sciatica isn't a diagnosis. It just describes the symptom, without telling you what the underlying cause is. I had sciatica when pregnant because the nerve was pinched by my pelvis shifting to accomodate the baby. More recently i've had sciatica caused by a knackered disc - had a scan to diagnosis that.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 20-Apr-19 18:50:48

Please see a doctor or call 111. Your symptoms need to be medically assessed and you need prescription painkillers if you don't have them already. Call 111.

If you experience any difficulty passing urine, incontinence or numbness/tingling in the genital area or inner thighs then it's an emergency and you need to call 999.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-19 18:58:47

I've had many osteopathappointments andnone have left me in agony immediately afterwards. I'm always sore and spectacularly grumpy by the evening but not agony like you describe.

Alternating hot and cold to the area might help. Phoning the osteopath for advice is a good idea.

Do look out for the symptoms described by a previous poster though.

user1497873278 Sun 01-Mar-20 04:15:26

Fudgesmummy I know it’s an old thread but I’m having the same as you did it ease and how are you know

Verily1 Sun 01-Mar-20 04:52:33

User I’d advise starting your own thread for advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »